Close

3D SYSTEMS ProJet 5000 3D Printer

Hello,
    First post.
    I have an opportunity to acquire one of these machines at $10,000 (~3 years old with minimal use)
    I have searched for reviews but could not find any.

Does anyone here have any experience with the reliability of one of these machines?

Thank You

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well first find out what the running costs are.
    Also that's an 8 year old design. How long are 3dsystems going to keep making the consumables ?

Looking at the specs for it. If it's fully finctional and you can still get the materials to run it - that's a pretty good price.

Check if it's the original print head - they are apparently guarenteed for 5 years. So that's good anyway.
    Well it is if you can still get replacements.

It's probably going to need a cleaning station as well to remove and recycle the excess powder.
    Check that as they usually cost almost as much as the machines.

Given that the machine cost 150,000 PLUS when new - $10,000 is a suspiciously low price.
    Find out why it's so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well first find out what the running costs are.
    Also that's an 8 year old design. How long are 3dsystems going to keep making the consumables ?

Looking at the specs for it. If it's fully finctional and you can still get the materials to run it - that's a pretty good price.

Check if it's the original print head - they are apparently guarenteed for 5 years. So that's good anyway.
    Well it is if you can still get replacements.

It's probably going to need a cleaning station as well to remove and recycle the excess powder.
    Check that as they usually cost almost as much as the machines.

Given that the machine cost 150,000 PLUS when new - $10,000 is a suspiciously low price.
    Find out why it's so cheap.

Thank you for the reply. There are 6 machines for sale at a GE (General Electric) over surplus store.
    They look very clean but your comments definitely alerted me to do more research on running costs so I think I will decide against buying one.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    depending on what you want to make - there are some really impressive machines for under $10,000.
    Maybe not sls or binderjet - but definitely sla and fdm.
    Add a palette 2 to any fdm machine to get multi material and multi colour.
    No it's not powdered nylon - but you can definitely get machines that will print with polycarbonate, nylon and PEEK for under $10'000

A high end bit of kit like a projet 5000 has an awful lot to go wrong with it and given how much they cost - that pricing is just bloody suspicious.
    PLus 3dsystems are notorious for locking you into their exclusive supply chain.

Clean is one thing - but unless you see it running and fully functional, definitely a good choice to avoid :-)