Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLA 3D Printer

SLA 3D Printer

Hello i am looking for SLA 3d Printer. My budget is 4000 usd. What would you recommend. Thanks.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I'd probably suggest the Form 1+ if you want something reliable and with great support.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Staff Engineer
    SLA, fully assembled, available now, and under $4000. These criteria pretty much narrow the field down to only the Form1. If you're willing to get a kit or wait for around 8-10 months, then the options open up significantly.

What is your opinion about Pegasus Touch?

Staff Engineer
    To my knowledge, they're still getting printers to their KS backers (though to be honest, I hadn't payed them nearly enough attention) I'm guessing they will still be a few months away from shipping regular pre-orders. That said, the Pegasus does look similar quality-wise to the Form1, but until it's in peoples' hands in big numbers and getting reviews, I can't really say.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I'd probably suggest the Form 1+ if you want something reliable and with great support.
    Are those the same printers they make in China and will put any brand name you like on them but for a fraction of the price :-)

Picture1.jpg

Staff Engineer
    A steel box with an orange box on top doesn't make it "the same printer".
    Even if they do actually use the same shell as the Form1 to make it look identical, there's little chance that the parts inside will be the same quality if they're selling for a fraction of the price.

Brand name is never about where the product is made, but about where it's quality control tested... If the Form1 (or any other piece of electronics for that matter) comes off the boat from China and it has parts inside that aren't to the company's quality standards, it gets sent back, generally at the manufacturer's expense, and the continued business of that manufacturer is in jeapordy if it happens with regularity.

Knockoffs don't generally have that kind of process, and there's the possibility of getting a very good looking metal and plastic box with complete garbage inside. Get a leftover Form One case with a leftover Nike Swoosh on the front? You probably have just enough metal in the clear part to look like good as a prop and nothing else.

I have been comparing the two just out of interest and can see that the thing is identical right down to the button on the front, the legs, the label on the back etc..makes me wonder about if the thing was ever developed in "Formlabs" as advertised or somewhere in China?

Staff Engineer
    Wow, okay. So I feel like I wrote that whole explenation for nothing.

On the other hand, I have this great Ikea laptop to sell you.

I'm joking, I'm joking, I'd never con a kid out of money like that. Even when I know it would work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast