Close

Threaded View

Difficulty Staining PLA Wood Filament

Hey Guys -

I started 3D printing a couple of months ago and recently tried out Hatchbox's Wood Filament. I choose this one since it had great reviews and their regular PTA worked well for me. When trying to stain my finished prints, hardly any sticks; though. Attached are a few images with explainations for each below...

- Test Stain - I took the tearaway rift from a print to test with and sanded area 1 with 400 grit, area 2 with 800 grit, area 3 with 1500 grit, and area 4 with 2500. The areas between 3 & 2 is not sanded and upper part isn't stained, however; all areas look the same (including one not stained). I applied stain, wiped it, then repeated.
    - Next to the test piece is a print I did which I stained as well which isn't smooth like the raft, but it retained pretty much the same color as well despite trying both of the stains below (let dry in between)
    I attached a picture with and without flash...

Stain Used
    - Minwax - Wood Finish Penetrating Stain - English Chestnut 233
    - Rustoleum Wood Stain - American Walnut

They were printed on my Ender 3 Pro using a 0.4 nozzle @ .2 layer height. Here's a link to the filament used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01092XXD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What
    am I doing incorrectly? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bzowk; 01-29-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Formatting