Close

MakerBot Announces new 3D Print Service

MakerBot 3D Print Service – Just in Time for the Holidays!
    Starting today, simply walk into the Manhattan MakerBot® Retail Store with an STL, OBJ, or Thing file on a USB drive and sign up. Then bring your project to life using one of our in-store MakerBot® Replicator® 2 Desktop 3D Printers.
    Get Inspired by Thingiverse
    Eager to try 3D printing but not sure where to begin? Find some inspiration on MakerBot® Thingiverse®. With more than 100,000 3D model files available for download, Thingiverse is the world’s largest 3D printing community. Print a keychain, phone case, or get festive with a holiday ornament. The choice is yours.
    Questions? Please ask. And tell.
    If you have any questions about the service, stop by our store and a MakerBot Retail Operator will fill you in on the details. Here’s the address for any first-timers:
    298 Mulberry Street New York, NY 10012 347.457.5758
    Open: Mon-Sat 12-7pm, Sun 12-6pm
    After you’ve tried MakerBot 3D Print Services, please tell us what you think. Your input and suggestions will help us keep improving the service for everyone.

Very interesting. Looks like perhaps they plan on competing with Shapeways. Should be interesting to see if they take things that far or just do it to get people into their stores.

I don't see this as trying to compete with ShapeWays in any way. I just see it as MakerBot trying to get their name out there, and show off their hardware.
    Jacoby

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobysOne View Post
    I don't see this as trying to compete with ShapeWays in any way. I just see it as MakerBot trying to get their name out there, and show off their hardware.
    Jacoby
    I agree. Competing would mean producing something other than what most of us print at home - Shapeways do metal, sandstone, glass powder.. you name it.
    Makerbot / Bre petis are just scrambling to save what they've got left, they had a good piece of the pie for a while . but now, there are so many pies to eat!

But now Makerbot's parent company is going to start putting the other pies into the garbage disposal, starting with Afinia.

This should be interesting...