Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Converting Mesh to Solid

Hi all! I'm fairly new to 3D printing, but I work as a Draftsman for a mechanical company. I use Autocad inventor, so this is what I mainly use for all my drawing and design work.

I'm not familiar with Mesh at all, and ive got a drawing I need converted to a solid so I can Edit it and 3D print it. I have attached it to this post. Ideally I need it in either STEP, DXF or a solid works part file would be fine.

Any help on how I can easily achieve this with the program I have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Austin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Staff Engineer
    I was able to import the mesh into Fusion 360, but the conversion process warned that there were too many facets. The attempt was made anyway, but the program crashed. Bringing the mesh into Meshmixer crashed a few times during the mesh reduction process, but I was eventually able to reduce the mesh by/to fifty percent.

Even though it was reduced, Fusion 360 warned me again, but did not crash. The conversion took a long time in computer terms, but eventually completed.

You requested STEP and the attached file is the zipped version of the STEP result, as the forum does not support .step files for attachments.

I hope this works for you.

If you run Windows, you can use Fusion 360 free and Meshmixer is free as well, should you require a similar task in the future.

Thanks Fred! I really appreciate all your effort. Unfortunately I still cant get that to work, the only parts that are solid when I import it is a few of the interior parts. I just need the exterior for a simple print. I will keep trying to see if I can get it to work.

Thanks!!

Staff Engineer
    Can you use/edit the STL file I've attached?

If you're running into problems, maybe a screen shot or drawing to show your objective?

I won't give up if you don't.

Does anyone else have any ideas for this? Ideally I just need the body to be a solid object so it can sit flat on the bed. I was going to print the wheels and add them on afterwords.

Thanks,
    Austin

EDIT: Fred, your post showed up after I posted this. Let me see what you have just attached. Thanks!!!

OUTBACK.jpgSo whats happening when I import into inventor and try to convert to solid is it still wont recognize it as a a solid. If I just try to print as is theres to many interior details. Also where the contours are in the body panel its reading those as voids. I have attached a screen shot of how it looks in my slicer. Like I said above what im trying to acomplish is just the exterior with solid body, Id like to delete the wheel so it sit flat and I can print and snap them on separate. I just wish I had more time to learn how to us mesh features, and the mixer. I would imagine it cant be that difficult to make all the exterior one surface, and everything inside solid without the wheels.

Thanks so much for your help!
    Last edited by peysera; 12-17-2019 at 01:26 AM.

Staff Engineer
    This has been an interesting project. The creator of the model apparently did so without the expectation of 3D printing, or completely ignored appropriate conventions for modeling aimed at printing.

I've run the model through a number of iterations without acceptable results. In many cases, the appearance is good, but when analysis is performed, the model is a complete disaster. There are reversed normals and uncountable non-manifold items comprising the model.

I was able to easily remove the wheels and associated parts, as well as the seats, steering wheel and other interior components. It doesn't solve the improperly joined outer surface, nor the huge (relatively speaking) gaps around the underside of the body. Equally disturbing is the inconsistently floating glazing and trim pieces.

If I had greater skill (currently nearly zero) with Blender, I might be able to track down the non-manifold portions and tug and bend and join edges to get rid of some of the problems.

It is such an intensely complex model that such a workflow is impractical, in my opinion.

The creator of the model is to be commended for creating such a detailed work of art, suitable for many things other than 3D printing.

Fred,
    I truly appreciate your effort! Ill make due with what I have. Have a merry Christmas!

I used FreeCAD to convert your STL into a 100+MB STEP file and was able to have Solidworks begrudgingly open it. Also uploaded it into an Onshape document. Here's a link:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a1...38566c743839bf

You may be able to pare it down more easily in Onshape since their cloud servers are handling the heavy computational lifting. I don't have time to mess around with it too much, but it's there if you want to take a crack at it.

Here's the workflow I used to convert the STL to a STEP in FreeCAD:

https://all3dp.com/2/stl-to-step-how...files-to-step/

I can't share original files, but the above folder has the files I've created (numbered in order of creation). I was given a mesh, which I converted to STL, which was then used to create everything else.speed test vidmate 123movies
    Last edited by Arsoy; 01-23-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast