Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Drone - you're using slic3r v0.9.9, right? Maybe someone has a miracle solution for it, but being light on topfill seems to be a common complaint with it. There's a thread here somewhere with experiments related to eliminating that on the top of a knob.

On the blue tape - just rubbing the tape remnants with a wet finger has worked for me. I have found that if I clean the tape with alcohol before printing, there's almost a permanent bond between PLA and the tape. Regardless of bed temperature.

A couple of us would be curious to know the part number or type number shown on the stepper motor labels. That'd tell us whether Colin has moved to a different motor, possibly explaining why motors aren't getting hot for some people.

EDIT: Here's the other thread. Use of a print cooler was proven by clough42 to be something that would make a difference. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...nner-questions
    Last edited by printbus; 09-02-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    printbus, what size head did you get and do you print with PLA or ABS more? My kit will get here on Friday, so I will post the part #'s

Quote Originally Posted by usarmyaircav View Post
    printbus, what size head did you get and do you print with PLA or ABS more? My kit will get here on Friday, so I will post the part #'s
    Some of us put info like that in our signature line for reference - I have a 0.40mm Hexagon. My print log shows about 25% ABS and 75% PLA. I sort of go in waves. Color is a key driver - I think black is the only color I have in both ABS and PLA. Right now my preference is to print using PLA.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Some of us put info like that in our signature line for reference - I have a 0.40mm Hexagon. My print log shows about 25% ABS and 75% PLA. I sort of go in waves. Color is a key driver - I think black is the only color I have in both ABS and PLA. Right now my preference is to print using PLA.
    DOH!!!! I totally missed your sig line. Wow! Thanks for the information!

Technician
    Drone - you're using slic3r v0.9.9, right? Maybe someone has a miracle solution for it, but being light on topfill seems to be a common complaint with it. There's a thread here somewhere with experiments related to eliminating that on the top of a knob.

On the blue tape - just rubbing the tape remnants with a wet finger has worked for me. I have found that if I clean the tape with alcohol before printing, there's almost a permanent bond between PLA and the tape. Regardless of bed temperature.

A couple of us would be curious to know the part number or type number shown on the stepper motor labels. That'd tell us whether Colin has moved to a different motor, possibly explaining why motors aren't getting hot for some people.
    Yeah, I'm using Slic3r 0.9.9 as recommended by Colin. Is 1.1.7 better for this? Or should I consider Cura? I guess I'll try 1.1.7 and 1.2.0 experimental (probably not ready for primetime, but I'll give it a shot anyway on a small part)

Denatured alcohol and a bit of rubbing got rid of the excess tape and residue with no harm to the print, so I guess that will work.

Here is the tag on the extruder motor:

IMG_0317a.jpg

I just printed a Z axis endstop mount without heat and with blue tape and it worked well. So it looks like I won't be using the heated bed for PLA unless others think there is a good reason to use heat. Haven't tried ABS yet. I do have a roll, but thought I would get PLA working right first, and since I'm printing inside my house I have no idea what the fumes from ABS would be like. The smell from PLA is not an issue, but from what others have posted ABS might be.

Yep. Different motor. AFAIK, the "hot" ones are 42BHH48-050-24A.

EDIT: So that search engines pick it up, the type number in drone's servo picture is 42BHH48-151K-24B. That's likely a 4V 1.5 amp motor, a better fit.
    Last edited by printbus; 09-02-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Thanks for the picture Drone and thanks printbus for the part number breakdown.

Hmm, I suspect I have the hot ones as well. I haven't any issues as they have not gotten hot enough to melt the ABS extruder or anything, they just run extremely hot to the touch. I'll check the number and report back.

Yep. Different motor. AFAIK, the "hot" ones are 42BHH48-050-24A.

EDIT: So that search engines pick it up, the type number in drone's servo picture is 42BHH48-151K-24B. That's likely a 4V 1.5 amp motor, a better fit.
    I'm so glad to see this. But sad that I've got the old motors.

Looks like Colin is importing these things in tremendous quantities: https://www.importgenius.com/importers/maker-farm-inc

2075KG of motors is a lot of motors.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    I'm so glad to see this. But sad that I've got the old motors.

Looks like Colin is importing these things in tremendous quantities: https://www.importgenius.com/importers/maker-farm-inc

2075KG of motors is a lot of motors.
    Wow, there is no way that can be cheap!

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    clough42, I'm interested to know if you are planning to switch to the new motors if they are available.

Do you think it's worth a complete or partial swap?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast