Close

Ultimaker 2 vs Wanhao Duplicator 4X - is it worth paying the extra for 0.02mm res?

Another newbie question:

I'm considering buying either an Ultimaker 2 or Wanhao Duplicator 4X. I've narrowed down to these two machines based on product reviews, forums, UK availability, price, and a couple of phone discussions with sellers.

The main thing that concerns me with the Wanhao is that it 'only' has 0.1mm layer resolution, even though on paper the two printers appear to have similar X/Y/Z resolution (I started an earlier thread to try to get some insight into where the differences lie).

One of the big selling points for the UM2 is the advertised 0.02mm resolution capability. Is it going to be worth paying the (considerable) extra for the Ultimaker 2? I can afford to buy the UM2, and I'm the sort of person who appreciates using quality tools in general, but I don't want to throw money away needlessly.

I would intend to use the machine for product prototyping, one-offs etc., so high accuracy & smooth finish are of interest to me. I'm also not overly concerned about the extra time that a 0.02mm print may take. Would 0.02mm prints be noticeably smoother (less ridged) than 0.1mm ones?

Does the UM2 justify its premium price? I understand that some of the price difference is due to it being made in Europe rather than China, but even taking that into account there is a large difference.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Ultimaker does have a bigger build volume,

I would personaly prefer ultimaker 1 or ultimaker 2 if you don't need the second nozzle,

As i aint completely sure about the quality of the parts from Wanhao, Ultimaker should have a longer life, atleast i think that.
    I don't own either of the two, so take my advice not that highly rated.

0.1 vs 0.02 ? Ye kinda you will feel it, But it isnt that crazy of a diffrence.

It kinda depends on where you live and how much you wanna spend,
    I have a Makerfarm but if Ultimaker had the price dropped when i bought mine i would have probably bought Ultimaker,
    It doesnt support ABS but still, its a great printer, very stabile.
    But thats also due i live next to the Netherlands (Belgium)