Close

Threaded View

Technician
    I just received the Flashforge glass bed that I intend to use with my PowerSpec printer. I probably will look for tempered glass locally in the future to save some money, but I needed some kapton tape anyway...

The PowerSpec has a bit of a different bed carriage than the Flashforge, as far as I can tell. It has a flat metal plate on a frame underneath, that cannot be seen from the outside. As such, the little shim that people have been using to reset the Z-axis won't work with the PowerSpec. I'm working on a larger shim that will use the side-stabilizers on the Z-axis as end-points and then just run across the back of the metal plate to trigger the limit switch. I"m also going to play with the thickness, as the Z-axis springs/screws are at their tightest just to level the bed, and I'd like to have a bit more leeway.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is how to attach the glass to the existing bed structure. I'm thinking of using medium-sized binder clips, but the glass is 7mm thick and the aluminum plate is 6+mm, and the heater comes right out to the edge of the aluminum plate. I am worried about the pressure one of the mid-sized clips will exert on the structure. I think crushing the heater would not be a good thing.

Has anyone done the binder clip attachment for their glass bed on a Creator X? How did it work? Are there any other alternatives? (I'd like the glass to be removable for kapton replacement, cleaning, and severely stuck work product, so I don't want to nail it in place. )
    Last edited by jdg56; 07-12-2014 at 08:03 AM.