Close

Printer resolution - what controls/restricts this?

I have a question regarding printing resolution, that I wondered if any of the more experienced members might be able to answer....

I'm considering buying a Wanhao Duplicator 4X. The maximum layer resolution is specified as 0.1mm on this machine. I notice that in the X/Y/Z positioning specs, these are 0.02mm for X/Y axis, and 0.005mm for Z axis.

So, is the 0.1mm layer resolution restricted by the machine's firmware or are there some other factor involved? Is there a chance that with a firmware upgrade that this machine might be able to match the 0.02mm layer resolution of the Ultimaker 2?

Technologist
    I'm sure it must have something to do with the z-axis lead screw. However, printing at 0.1mm takes a loooong time. 0.02mm will take 5x a looong time. To put it in a bit of perspective, 1cm at 0.02mm is 5,000 layers. Not impossible but.........

Quote Originally Posted by KDog View Post
    I'm sure it must have something to do with the z-axis lead screw. However, printing at 0.1mm takes a loooong time. 0.02mm will take 5x a looong time. To put it in a bit of perspective, 1cm at 0.02mm is 5,000 layers. Not impossible but.........
    I'm not real good at math. I get those dx/dy things wrong all the time. But my calculator is claiming 10mm / .02mm is 500 layers. Should I delete my calculator program?

Among (other) factors is the hardware : if your motors have 360 positions in a turn (1° precision) or double that, the situation can be quite different.
    The assembly precision of the structure is another factor. That one you can try to compensate for with calibration. But for that reason i'm quite wary with foldable formats. Repeatability is probably not as good.
    Generally speaking if the mechanics have a 1 error spread, try to avoid parametrrs lower than 10. If you go for 1/1 you won't achieve anything as anything you do is within error range.
    Last edited by LambdaFF; 06-29-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Technologist
    Haha...whooops....has happened before. 500 still a lot of layers though. :P

Engineer
    As some of the other guys pointed out there are some mechanical requirements. If your machine is tight enough and can mechanically handle that kind of precision then it really boils town to tuning your print setting. The thinner the laters the more precise your settings need to be. Under .1 and things start getting more and more difficult to tune. Inrun a makergear m2 and someone did a print once of the yoda head at .02. It was really crazy. There were no layer marks at all. I havent ever really bothered to giobelow .1 because there is no real need for any print i have done and i actually want to have something completed within a week lol.