Close

Add Torby on Thingiverse

Wink Marlin for my Antique Makerbot Replicator

Long time no post!I found my antique Makerbot Replicator (dual head) at a junk shop in 2017, though it might have been 2016. At that time the firmware was already too old for updaters to update, so I've been using a really old version of Makerware for the slicer because it can make the cryptic .s3g files the printer uses. I've used it LOTS.Well, now I find myself with yet another PC wondering where to find this out-of-date unsupported slicer, and thinking of putting Marlin on the printer instead.I'm in software. I know what .cpp and .h files are and how to load software via the "ISP" connector. I've found the board's ISP connector.Any suggestions where I can look for tips or advice on configuring Marlin's .h files for my ancient, though mostly functional, replicator?Makerbot.jpgMBBoard01.jpgMBBoard02.jpgPerhaps, since I have something I did not have then, a job, I should just watch Angus on YouTube and see what printers he likes and get one of those.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    hmm - not sure you can put marlin on a mightyboard. Never heard of anyone doing so - but then sailfish (or the other versions) in my opinion are vastly superior to marlin anyway.
    Will it take x3g files ?
    in which case you can use flashforges flashprint and set up as a replicator pro.

Add Torby on Thingiverse
    Oh. I thought Marlin was the newer update of Sailfish.

My firmware is so old, ReplicatorG doesn't know what to do with it, so I figure I'll have to ISP it with my AVR programming tools.

Add Torby on Thingiverse
    And it (Sailfish) comes in a hex file. That's easy to ISP...

Add Torby on Thingiverse
    So, which replicator is this? Reading sailfish instructions, I'm supposed to know It has the wooden laser cut frame, dual extruder and heated build plate. I guess it's the Replicator 1 since it doesn't have the cool black finish of the 2 or 2X. Oh, here we go:

https://www.geek.com/gadgets/makerbo...nting-1456813/

Must be the Replicator 1 as it was just called "Replicator."

Oh. And I don't care if the new firmware can read the old .s3g files. I want it to be able to read files made by newer slicers. That's the point of updating firmware.

Add Torby on Thingiverse
    "Wait," says I, "I have job! I don't have to keep my antique $50 junk shop printer working!"So I went shopping with my paypal and have a kit for a Prusa i3 Mk 2s on the way.So, maybe someday I'll get my old replicator working again as a museum piece, but....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol - sounds like a good move :-)

As far as marlin being the successor to sailfish. I believe it was, but a completely different firmware also has the same name.

Personally I have one machine running marlin, and I hate it.
    repetier is way more user friendly and the original firmware that camne with both my replica clones is even better.

Add Torby on Thingiverse
    But it seems I did not get a kit for building a 3d printer, but a kit for updating a 3d printer. I've been a little busy with something else, so I haven't looked at it too closely yet.