Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for PETG Tip

Monoprice Maker Select v2Temps = 150/7520 mm/s print speed (inital layer speed 8mm/s, only way I could get it to stick properly)Wall speeds 10 outter and 20 innerInfill 80% at 10 mm/sSo as you can see it prints decent until it gets to printing those little pillars. They were thinner in my previous model and thickening them helped a little bit with strength. You can see the layers dont seem to be clean though. I found that dropping the fan speed to like 25% so its still speeding but barely helped a little bit. My question is what is the issue here and what can I do to make it look cleaner like the body of the print. My print is in an enclosure as well. When i print in PLA it turns out good but i've always struggled with PETG.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyone have any suggestions please?

There was a lot of tip given in these thread
    https://3dprintboard.com/showthread....highlight=PETG
    https://3dprintboard.com/showthread....=PETG+settings

At the top right side of the main page there is a small search field that says "Search this forum" Enter PETG in it and you will find a few more..
    Last edited by airscapes; 09-05-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    There was a lot of tip given in these thread
    https://3dprintboard.com/showthread....=PETG+settings

At the top right side of the main page there is a small search field that says "Search this forum" Enter PETG in it and you will find a few more..
    i tried, i was looking to see if someone could identify my specific issue based on the pictures. Like why the layers aren't blending like they should. Everything in that other thread you linked was asking about bed adhesion which I've solved by going super slow on my first layer having the tip very close to the bed. I've even googled search and read a bunch of different trouble shooting guides using other peoples setting but no luck yet. I'm just wondering if a guru can tell me what specifically is going wrong with these layers not blending as well as the base of the object.

What exactly do you want to improve? The pillars are small and PETG is stingy stuff. I can not really see the sides of the pillars that clearly.. The top of the part looks to be under extruded, there should not be able to see the threads below when looking through the cracks between threads. Of course I can not see all that well but to me there looks to be too much open space between your threads on the top layer. We also don't know what your infill percentage is or your number of walls. Are the pillars strong, can you easily snap them off? You are not going to get a nice pretty print with PETG unless it is a simple shape without small islands that require lots of moves over open air and retraction.. It can be done, but there will always be cleanup.. Also if you can post the STL file so we can import it and take a look at it, would be helpful.

What exactly do you want to improve? The pillars are small and PETG is stingy stuff. I can not really see the sides of the pillars that clearly.. The top of the part looks to be under extruded, there should not be able to see the threads below when looking through the cracks between threads. Of course I can not see all that well but to me there looks to be too much open space between your threads on the top layer. We also don't know what your infill percentage is or your number of walls. Are the pillars strong, can you easily snap them off? You are not going to get a nice pretty print with PETG unless it is a simple shape without small islands that require lots of moves over open air and retraction.. It can be done, but there will always be cleanup.. Also if you can post the STL file so we can import it and take a look at it, would be helpful.
    I want to improve strength. I'm not totally concerned about look because currently when it goes back and forth from the pillar to that front leg (with the holes in it) I end up taking a razor blade to trim off some of the stringing on the edge which I'm fine with. Infill from my original post was 80%, i'll have to get back to you on walls when i can check my settings but i'm thinking its 3? (I'm @work right now). I was just hoping for the strength I get with PLA (but i need the heat resistance of the PETG). I thickened up those pillars a little which seemed to help just a tad but the layers still dont look blended together like the body of the object. Clean up is not a real issue (this part isn't seen in its real life use) but I was just hoping to make those pillars stronger as thats where I screw goes through and is tightened down. In its current state they crush way easier than I had hoped they would.

Not sure what slicer you use, I only know Simplifed 3D 4.01.
    For strong small parts, one would think more walls are better.. however, if you can have different settings for the pillars (S3d multiple processes) I would print 1mm below where they start up to the end of the print with 1 or 2 wall 100% infill. I am guessing as I would normally slice the part and look at the preview. Get your extrusion multiplier checked, print the entire part with NO FAN. PETG does not like fan.. Starting height has to be perfect if to close you will get Clingonbuggers that will cause issues, to high and no adhesion.
    If you want to post the stl, I will load some PETG and print the part just for the fun of it. I don't like PETG that much but I do use it for part that will be in sunlight. My other go to is ABS which many people don't like but I have had a lot of good luck with, especially small parts.

Not sure what slicer you use, I only know Simplifed 3D 4.01.
    For strong small parts, one would think more walls are better.. however, if you can have different settings for the pillars (S3d multiple processes) I would print 1mm below where they start up to the end of the print with 1 or 2 wall 100% infill. I am guessing as I would normally slice the part and look at the preview. Get your extrusion multiplier checked, print the entire part with NO FAN. PETG does not like fan.. Starting height has to be perfect if to close you will get Clingonbuggers that will cause issues, to high and no adhesion.
    If you want to post the stl, I will load some PETG and print the part just for the fun of it. I don't like PETG that much but I do use it for part that will be in sunlight. My other go to is ABS which many people don't like but I have had a lot of good luck with, especially small parts.
    I've been using Cura, but I have a version of Simplify3D, i forget what version though, i'll have to look. I only been using cura bcuz thats what I started with. I'll have to look into that slicer though and those particular settings since im not familiar. I'm not familiar with how to check the extrusion multiplier, but i'll look into that also. I print at 80% fan after the first layer then manual turn the fans down to about 25% when it starts the pillars and noticed a slight improvement. Maybe i'll see what no fan for the whole thing does. Yeah my ongoing issue with PETG was bed adhesion, tried painter tape, then glass, then painters tape on glass then that translucent electrical tape on top of painters tape thats on top of glass lol. Slowing the print speed down to 8mm/s was what really helped, but i have the nozzle very close to the bed, but not close that things clog up. Maybe i'll try and raise it just a hair since i lowered the speed way down. Temp is already at 250 degrees so its safe to say i barely have adjustment there or in speed lol.

I'd print in only PLA if i didnt need the heat resistance. PLA warps hard since these parts go inside of a car. PLA doesnt stand a chance inside one in Arizona in the middle of summer lol! I do have a spool of ABS i got like awhile back, but I've been to nervous to try and use it since I've been having so much issue with PETG. I'll load the STL up for you in about 2 or so hours when i get home. I have 2 version. One is the original and one is when i made the pillars thicker to try and help with strength. Thanks buddy!

If you can tell me the extrusion width you are using along with the layer height I can post you some stl file to check starting height and extrusion multiplier. Assuming you have a digital caliper to measure down to .0x mm.

If you can tell me the extrusion width you are using along with the layer height I can post you some stl file to check starting height and extrusion multiplier. Assuming you have a digital caliper to measure down to .0x mm.
    This should help. I'm going to private msg you the STL file.
    Untitled.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast