Close

Use square aluminium tubes for corexy printer?

Hi,

I'm currently building and designing a corexy 3D printer and was wonder if I could use square aluminium tubes for the frame.
    I know that one can use V-slot rails, but those are not locally available were I live, but square aluminium tubes are at the local hardware store.
    So my question is, if anyone has used them in their build and if so are they holding up to the task?

Thx

Staff Engineer
    I can't recall where I saw it, but it probably was a CNC machine, not too far off from a 3D printer, especially the coreXY design. My Emblaser I laser engraver is coreXY and works well as a general design.

The CNC machine I saw used square tubing but turned the x/y tubes 45? to place them in a diamond shape. This provided a stiffer frame in the vertical and horizontal as well as allowed for wheels to engage the edges of the tubing rather than the faces. Allowing for the lower forces involved in 3D printing, you would not need the two inch square tubing I recall from the CNC design, but larger is better. Thin wall is fine, saving weight without sacrificing rigidity.

Thanks for sharing.

The ones I have found are 2 mm thick, which is fine after testing to bend them.
    Now I have to figure out the length I need for my build.

How does one calculate the cube size for a given build area? Is it taking x + size of tube + 50mm of clearance?

Staff Engineer
    If you're asking how to know the overall size, there are many variables that have to be turned into values. Consider at first the offset of the nozzle center to the extreme edge of the carriage on both sides of the carriage. If you have 20 mm distance to each edge of the carriage, then you know the bed will be 40 mm larger than your x-travel. The carriage travels on a gantry and you will probably have asymmetrical measurements from the nozzle to the front of the carriage and from the nozzle to the back of the carriage.

Progressing outward, the mechanism containing the belts and pulleys add to the dimensions.

It's not going to be as simple as your suggested formula, I believe.

Ok, i did surspect that will initially start out with a 50x50x50 cm cube. That should accommodate for a 300x300 or 240x340mm bed. Time to hit the cad and see were i end up at.
    Last edited by Zuru1; 08-02-2019 at 08:37 PM.