Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

New Huge Chinese 3D Printer - Plans to construct homes

It seems like the Chinese are really into creating big 3D printers. This past weekend at a 3D printing conference in China, a company introduced a new 3D printer that prints using a fiberglass / graphene mix. It can print objects 40 feet by 40 feet (xy axes), and the material is 3 times stronger than traditional building materials. They plan to start out printing a large version of the Temple of Heaven which will be on display in China. Then they will try and challenge the Dutch Canal House project by building large homes. Read more about this printer at: http://3dprint.com/7181/china-huge-3d-printer/

What do you think?

Staff Engineer
    Initial thought: "Well, that escelated quickly."

I don't often cheer for China, but I really hope this goes well for them.

Engineer
    Good for 3 houses then you have to throw it away and buy a new one. Lol seriously though i would like to see the house it builds.

Staff Engineer
    It looks pretty solid to me. Consider, when China isn't exporting something, they tend to build it much differently, the "cheap plastic Chinese goods" steriotype doesn't hold for their domestic machines.
    This looks more akin to old 1950s Soviet designs that look like total crap but have a longetivity that seems to defy logic.