Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is there any way to print in Metal using a RepRap?

I know most people talk about PLA and ABS when talking about 3D printing on the repraps. However I also know that RepRap is open source. Is there a way to print in metals?

No really... Metals need a much more higher temperature to melt.

But, you could print a 3D model, make a mold with it and then cast metal in it (if you have the stuff to melt it).

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Even then, the molten metal would completely melt the plastic mold, unless you were to use a low temp metal like tin...But then again, tin is so flimsy that it wouldn't really be worth using for structural parts, though it would make for a very interesting experiment

Eric

You could experiment with printing wax to make your shape, then encase the wax in potter's clay, forming access pipes to allow molten metal to enter. After the clay has dried, just pour in molten metal and the wax melts and the void is filled with metal. Very ancient way of making metal castings. But you only get one end product per mold.

If you liked, you could fire the clay with the wax in it before using the mold. The wax would be gone before you poured the metal, so you only need one pipe into the mold chamber.

OME

Quote Originally Posted by RP Iron Man View Post
    Even then, the molten metal would completely melt the plastic mold, unless you were to use a low temp metal like tin...But then again, tin is so flimsy that it wouldn't really be worth using for structural parts, though it would make for a very interesting experiment

Eric
    I mean, make a mold with the 3D Printed... not using the 3D Printed part as a mold!

Super Moderator

Eric
    You don't make the mold directly from the printing. The printing replaces steps 1-6 in a lost wax process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost-wax_casting#Process

Lost PLA casting, some have experimented with using solder to print circuits and simple objects. The solder flows too freely when melted which makes it hard to print, combine that with the fact that the solder dissolves the brass nozzle not many have printed in metal or even tried.

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by nka View Post
    I mean, make a mold with the 3D Printed... not using the 3D Printed part as a mold!
    Lol, sorry about that. I misunderstood

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Lost PLA casting, some have experimented with using solder to print circuits and simple objects. The solder flows too freely when melted which makes it hard to print, combine that with the fact that the solder dissolves the brass nozzle not many have printed in metal or even tried.
    There are also those major problems. Metal flows too freely when melted. Also, there is the problem with oxidation, thermal expansion, etc...

The only feasible "metal 3d printing" seems to be SLS (Selective Laser Sintering), but unfortunately there are a bunch of patents restricting that process...

Eric

There are also those major problems. Metal flows too freely when melted. Also, there is the problem with oxidation, thermal expansion, etc...

The only feasible "metal 3d printing" seems to be SLS (Selective Laser Sintering), but unfortunately there are a bunch of patents restricting that process...

Eric
    Well i've heard the patents for SLS would expire soon,
    But still those machines will probably stay quiet expensive as they are now since well, even if you made it yourself i am guessing it would still be easily 5k :P
    and i doubt the powders are cheap either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast