Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

FireCast Resin - Specifically made for investment casting

When it comes to creating 3D printed jewelry, there aren't too many options unless you want plastic jewelry. Who wants that? MadeSolid Inc., has announced today the release of a new Resin made for SLA based printers, that is specifically formulated to completely burn away, leaving no ash, during the investment-casting process. This will allow people to create metal jewelry with fine details. I wonder how many jewelers will be drooling over this. Read more about this new FireCast resin at: http://3dprint.com/6921/madesolid-firecast-resin/

Staff Engineer
    It sounds good, but it's hard to compare with other photo-reactive resins out there, especially since they don't tell you how much resin is in one of those little bottles.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Staff Engineer
    The site says $199 for 500g. Freakin steep price there.

Sounds neat, but if I were in the jewelry making business it would likely be a wise investment.

Staff Engineer
    Where did it say that? I looked all over for the quantity. The B9 Creator's resin is much less expensive, between $107 and $117 for a one-kilo bottle, and it's supposed to burn out cleanly too, but it might perform a little differently during the burnout. B9 advises using special investment formulated for plastics and a higher temperature.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Staff Engineer
    I had to go onto the MadeSolid store and actually place it in the cart to see the description there, which then also prompted some kind of chat session with a sales rep, who I had to tell that I was only browsing.

Awkward...