Hi All,
Never had a 3D printer know very little CAD (Did some in school and a little as a hobby several years back) but willing to learn. I do know a decent amount about electronics and working on cars, just a general jack of all trades.
So I have been looking at 3d printers for a few weeks to possibly solve a hard to find car part issue and possibly make some thing new for an old car. I am not sure if I should buy a 3D printer and design and make my parts or if I should higher someone to help me design the parts and print them. I guess I will start with what I want to make, then hit you guys up with what I think I know and then ask my questions.

I want/need to make the center vent holder assembly for a 69 Chevelle it needs to be very roughly 9X2x4 inches generally rectangular in shape with a divider in the front and small supports in the sides to hold two vents and then a movable block off door to block them off in the back there will also be an arm on the left side that controls the door. with this I need to make a center duct that will attach to the back of this assembly and have two 2.5 inch in diameter inputs and two 2.5 inch diameter outputs on the side. These parts are hard to find due to only being in production for one year and are generally in poor shape and if they are in good shape the plastic is 50 years old and brittle, I will have to modify the factory center duct to work with the aftermarket A/C system in the car. when the parts are available tend to go for around $300 US.

In the more of a want category I am going for a more of a modern look with the interior of the car and would like to upgrade the A/C controls. the front face would be about 9X2 inches with 3 knobs that would control the A/C system I want to back lite the face plate like in modern cars to show what each knob does. (Now lets see if I can accurately describe the next part.) on the knobs them selves I would like to have a little ring set in a little from the edges that act as a diffuser for an RGB LED so the knobs them selves can match the color of the gauges in the dash at night. I have not looked super close at the set up for the A/C controls one is for sure a mechanical linkage so will have to convert the rotational action of the knob to a lever action and the others might be a Rheostat but I am not 100% on that yet. similar type items go from anywhere for $300-600 US.

So what I think I know is that, I need to print in ABS and to do that I need a heated bed and an enclosure and I also need a large print area. I do know from looking pictures of 3D printed parts that I am going to have to do some finishing work and possibly painting to make the parts look right in the dash.

So if I buy the 3D printer I could potently make some of my money back by selling what I end up making and designing. but I could probably get a faster end result if I am able to higher some one especially if the person is local. but I also like the idea of being able to make other parts that might come to mind later and also teaching my daughter.

As of the moment I am leaning on 2 3D printers, a Creality 3D CR-10 S4 (I will need to make an enclosure for the Creality.) or a QIDI TECH 3D Printer, Large Size X-Plus. the later is at the extreme end of my budget but I like the fact that it seems a little more plug and play so I can focus on the design of what I am trying to make.

My questions are.
Do you guys think I should buy and build or Hire? (The reason I ask is the learning curve I don't want to spend 6 months just trying to make the center vent holder and every one seems to be saying that printing in ABS is a pain.)
Can I hire some one that does quality designs and builds for under the max end of my budget?
What do you think of my choices which one would you pick or is there another one I should consider?

Thanks for the Help and sorry for the super long post.