Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coil Winder

Student
    That's a brilliant idea. 0.45A is a problem, but maybe things could be re-worked to not need as much current.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottWalde View Post
    That's a brilliant idea. 0.45A is a problem, but maybe things could be re-worked to not need as much current.
    Well, you can always use a 16 layer PCB, but then it starts becoming inaccessible! Realistically, two 4 layers stacked on top of eachother to make the 8 would be good. Or likewise you can stack two 8's to get twice the turns and half your current.

Worst possible case is that you run a buck converter from the 5v to get 1.5v or some voltage ideally matched to produce 0.45A. Then you can run your current amplifier from that 1.5v.

This would ensure a solid regulated Vcc for the coil drive, and it may even help with your ground loop problem on the speaker wire! (also, arent ground loops fun?!).

There is a nice little chip I use for work:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...3-1-ND/4147125

Inexpensive, simple to use, no real problems with it. (just follow their example). It will add more to your board space and BOM, but at least it is a possibility that accounting can have the *option* to shoot down!

There are also tons of chips like this, so dont be shy to shop around!

- UD

I just finished watching the assembly video for the Peachy again and from the looks of it, using a PCB coil instead of the wire wrap would make assembly easier and would be more conducive to the "snap fit" assembly.

How goes the progress on the PCB coils?

I just stumbled upon this:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...2265-ND/703454

Digi-Key Part Number: 240-2265-ND

It`s a 20mm square ferrite plate. Id imagine if you stuck it to the back of one of the coils, it might better concentrate the magnetic flux and increase the coil`s influence on the magnet. Bringing the magnet closer to the coil would further help coupling.

- UD

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by User_Defined View Post
    How goes the progress on the PCB coils?

I just stumbled upon this:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...2265-ND/703454

Digi-Key Part Number: 240-2265-ND

It`s a 20mm square ferrite plate. Id imagine if you stuck it to the back of one of the coils, it might better concentrate the magnetic flux and increase the coil`s influence on the magnet. Bringing the magnet closer to the coil would further help coupling.

- UD
    No progress on this yet, were still working on solving the problems that cause holes first.
    The ferrite plate is a great idea, so long as it dosnt become slightly magnetized, could cause historysis, or memory in the printer.
    Last edited by rylangrayston; 10-10-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Peachy Printer Representative
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that we posted an update about Winder on KS and IGG today. You can check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12