Close

Hybrid View

Banned

Infograph: History of 3D Printing

We all know that 3D Printing has been around for quite some time, however only recently, due to advances in computer power, and other tech, has it begun to grow at an exponential rate. The History of 3D Printing is certainly an interesting one. I wonder what this infograph will look liek just 5 years from now. I bet the innovation in 3D Printing in the next 5 years will dwarf everything that has been accomplished these last 20 plus years:

A Brief History of 3D Printing:

This is great, I remember the first "stereolythography" machines, one guy I knew got reasonably well off by buying and using his. A model was very expensive. Only 15 minutes ago, I was explaining the technology, and how it has evolved to the lady at the post office. In only a few years it has grown phenomenally.

I still disagree that RepRap is self replicating, by weight, not any where close, by number of parts, less than 50%, so I would not call it self replicating, but I did not name it, perhaps it is similar to molecular printing in Milan. Keep in mind that RepRap means "replicating rapidprototype", it never was meant as a manufacturing method. Many people like to think of "fused filament fabrication" as a good way to manufacture, it is a good way to prototype, but not so good for manufacture. Still the state of the art has grown by leaps and bounds, especially where the hobby, small shop is concerned. Only a few years ago there would have been no way for most small shops to own a 3D printer, let alone every high school and college kid. Things can only get more amazing !