Close

3D Printed Spider painted with automobile paint - awesome

this isn't my design but I saw it on google+. It is 3d printed in parts and then painted using automobile paint. This turned out better than I would have expected. I was unaware that auto paint would sticky and not corrode the plastic from 3d printers. Does this work on all plastics?

Engineer
    i am in the automotive coatings industry for a living. i have painted plenty of 3d printed parts. automotive paint will stick to most all plastics. each plastic type however may need its own special prep. abs for instance needs no prep whatsoever. automotive coatings are solvent based paints so they will bite right into abs, dry and lock up tight. nylon on the other hand would need to be sprayed with an adhesion promoter first then prime sand and paint as usual. pla can be painted on directly as well but it is best to use an epoxy primer instead of a urethane high build primer. there are all kinds of different processes and products out there to make it work. i could even paint ninjaflex if i wanted to.