Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beta Tester Discussion

I'm just wanting to start a thread for beta testers to start talking what tests they are going to try on the printer, and later on start showing off their work.

First off I would like to ask what the current status on sending out the beta printers is? Are we likely to see them Early December or more around Christmas time?

-----

The first experiment Im hoping to try is what would result from taking a stereo sounds MP3 file of a regular song, but slowed down to something like 1/2000 normal speed and see what the result would be.

After which i would like to see, is if angling a part helps improve the quality. (like you see with the Form 1, the software automaticly angles the part) or is it better to just lay it flat on the bed.

Engineer-in-Training
    I think the eventual goal is to set up a whole subforum for the purposes of beta testing, maybe even offsite if Eddie doesn't like the sound of it.

Still though, I think it would be fun to talk about what tests backers and beta backers hope to see in December and January from beta printers.

My first goal is to set it up and get a really good, full video of a short print. I think that is what lots of folks are going to want right away. Next, I would like to some torture testing, and try the various "torture" prints available on thingiverse. The purpose of the test is to see how the peachy performs when attempting prints that are very challenging for other setups.

No! Don't close it from other backers, I want see pics many pics of some prints with it, when the beta backers have their peachy! If you want set up a complete forum for backers, but don't close it from other backers, what do you want hide? that he isnt finished yet? I understand to do these things for games, but for the printer also? (we are already tortured enough to be not able to buy a beta version )

So stop whining, I guess as backer of a kickstarter project you always should rather expect it later than early. (no offend to this project, I love it) So I would expect january(december is also the chaos month)
    Last edited by Yourtime; 11-05-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Peachy Printer Software Guru
    Our goal with beta testing (perhaps better called alpha testing?) is to get the printer from the lab into the home. That's going to mean having inexperienced people building it themselves with their own tools. I suspect we'll see lots of variation in the final builds, with some better quality than others. It will give us a chance to see what problems occur during the build and where we can improve performance and buildability. We are also hoping to be able to work closely with the beta testers (many of them professionals) to get ideas for how to make the printer perform better.

One possible cause of delay right now is getting the high quality mirrors. They are on order, but it's going to be at least a few weeks lead time. It looks like we may be faced with the choice of giving beta testers our existing, low-quality mirrors, or delaying the release until the mirrors are available. We'll see how that turns out as we progress.

Engineer-in-Training
    Yourtime, I just meant for organization, not to make it private. That would be terrible. You and I are on the same page: Keep it open to everyone.

Technician
    jamescooper, as one of the people that did pay the beta fee, I have already started to design the printer workspace and purchase the the parts that the workspace will be useing, eg two 5.5 litre decor brand square tubs with lids for both the build space and top tank, and am intending to have a high area for the top tank and a seperate lower build area with a support over the centre of the build area for the laser print head, is there any idea of the prefered methods for attaching the printhead to the supports?

harpo, thanks for the details. We've had great success using hot glue to mount many of the pieces. In last night's update you should be able to see the test rig we are using now, which is made from plywood and hot glue. The only real requirement is that it's sturdy so that it doesn't move during the print. A clamp would work, as long as you don't apply too much pressure and crack the plastic.

@JamesCooper, what about releasing the beta with the low quality mirrors, and then letting us upgrade to the polished mirrors

@tookys: That's a possibility. I think that is what Rylan is planning to do, but I'll leave it to him to decide what the beta will be.

Hot Glue

James, Most Hot glue tends to creep (move / cold flow). This will really cause a lot of headaches with optics that must have consistent alignment. Check out some forums on telescope DIY for some ideas on securing optics.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCooper View Post
    harpo, thanks for the details. We've had great success using hot glue to mount many of the pieces. In last night's update you should be able to see the test rig we are using now, which is made from plywood and hot glue. The only real requirement is that it's sturdy so that it doesn't move during the print. A clamp would work, as long as you don't apply too much pressure and crack the plastic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast