I recently have been spending a good amount of time studying the 3D printing industry, processes and history. As a result I am now completely obsessed as I'm sure many of you are as well.

My next step is I want to learn to create designs of my own and I was hoping to get some guidance. I have a little experience with Illustrator and not much else and I don't want to purchase any expensive software at this point. I have downloaded Blender and have an account to Lynda.com, but it seems as though the classes for Blender are focussed more on animation.

A few questions:
-Should I start by learning a Solid Modeler? I have heard it is easier and as someone with little modeling/design experience, it might be better?
--If so, what (free) software do you recommend?
---Where can I learn to use this software? I'm willing to spend money on the class but it must be over the computer because I don't have time for in person.
-Is Blender a good Mesh Modeler?
--Am I wasting my time by taking a Beginner class that focusses much on animation?
---Does anybody know a good (online) class on 3D modeling for printing? Again, I'm willing to spend money for a class.

I really appreciate any and all guidance and recommendations.