Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

The First Ever Analog 3D Printer - No Electricity, No Computers Needed

This has to be one of the most interesting and brilliant designs for a 3D printer that I have ever seen. It is a completely analog, and man run machine that requires no electricity, computers, software, or anything else that couldn't have been available in the early 1800's. It is designed by an artist named Daniël de Bruin, and it runs on simple machine concepts. It can print out objects in any paste-like materials, and even prints at speeds faster than those electric 3D printers we see today. It is currently on display at Exbunker in The Netherlands, and it is a genuine piece of work. Read more about this incredible invention at http://3dprint.com/6407/electric-free-analog-3d-printer

I Like It!

Staff Engineer
    Now that is one beautiful machine...

I once had an idea for a fully analog SLA printer that would use a set of line etched slides and expose the bed to a flash of sunlight through the slide per each layer, switching slides based on some kind of notch or hole mechanism in the edge of it... It ended up being much more complex, even on paper, than I have time for.

I definitely think this approach is more simple though (and doesn't require a person constantly adjusting a mirror to catch the sun, that's a plus)

While Daniël de Bruin has invented a beautiful machine it can not be called a 3d printer as it can only print round objects. I would prefer to call it an automated potter's wheel.
    It is a wonderful and clever machine that has mesmerized me when seeing it working. The guiding mechanism and the driven and follow plates re very clever.
    Hats off to Daniel!

As happy as I am to see electronic devices make very elaborate objects, I always have a soft spot for those clever automatons.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by matterthings View Post
    it can not be called a 3d printer as it can only print round objects.
    I'll agree it's a very limited 3D printer, but that's more to do with the very simplified programming (the wire) rather than any specific limitation of the concept that the machine uses. It would be easy enough to add a changeable cam to the wire guide to add changes to the r-axis dependant on angle. Even then it would only be able to do simple shells.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it can not be called a 3d printer as it can only print round objects
    It makes 3d objects - it's a 3d printer.
    Where's the confusion ?

Absolutely brilliant bit of kit.

Now the next question is - can he reproduce the parts in a printable format. Because if he could that would be the very first truly rep-rap machine !

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    A square is a polygon with 4 sides, a circle is a polygon with an infinite number of sides, 3d printers print polygons, this is a 3d printer. Without having read the article, i would assume it's progammable by switching out various gears. That makes it a 3d printer.