Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Let him get a printer if he really wants it, the worst that can happen is that he burns his fingers on the hot end.

Generally parents are way to overprotective nowadays..

Student
    Yes, burning is just about the only risk apart from the fumes. If he uses PLA, I think it would be a great idea.
    BTW, I'm 13 and I have 1 + 1/2!

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo1212 View Post
    Yes, burning is just about the only risk apart from the fumes.
    I burn myself regularly on our Replicator 2X but it's nothing that leaves a scar or mark. It just stings for a bit then goes away.

As for the fumes, it's not really that dangerous unless you're in a small enclosed space with absolutely no ventilation. Our printers are located in the back of our computer lab, and we haven't had any problems. All we have for ventilation is a window AC unit, and the door to the room is usually open.

Going back to burning, it's really only a problem on some units. I can really only speak about this from experience with Makerbot units, though. I have almost never burned myself on the Replicator 2, but on the 2X it's a thing with almost every print.

(NOTE: I burn myself because I'm usually in a rush to get things off the printer and get new things printing. We usually have around 1-4 models in the que to be printed at any given time.)

New era child always something in new with technology friendly behave with new technologies.

If he can use computer of smart phone , a 3D printer is not hard to operate for him.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    2 year old thread - so did the kid ever get a printer ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse

A 13yr old is a variable in an equation. You have to analyze it based on that specific 13yr old. What are his/her capabilities. What are his/her interests. And what is his/her maturity state. And how responsible are they? Honestly, I have met some of my granddaughter's classmates (she's now 14). And frankly I wouldn't trust them with a rubber chicken let alone a 3d printer.

Case in point...

Thats my 13yr (now 14) old granddaughter behind my $6000 Barrett MRAD. Would I let just any 13yr old do that? No. She showed the ability to reason out the safety aspects. The ability to control the weapon in a safe way was paramount in deciding whether to let her do so. She had proven herself with smaller weapons and progressed up to something this large. FYI, she has completed hunter safety training. She's shooting at 400yd and putting groups on paper the size of a 50c piece.

So, would I let a 13yr old handle a 3d printer? Depends on the 13yr old. Vanna? Yea, I probably would if she had such an interest. Age notwithstanding, the ability of the person should be the determining factor. Would I just drop one in their lap with no guidance or instruction? Nope. Guidance is always needed. FYI, thats me on the spotting scope with her in the photo above.

Banned
    I'm speaking for myself here, at 13, I was probably able to handle a 3D printer. Can every 13 year old do it? Nope. Can a determined 13 year old do it? Yup.

Like others said, xbox, facebook, Iphones, clouds, apps and games all have learning curves just like printers do.

... Age and maturity are disconnected. In France you can do solo glider flights from 15. Not everyone can but the provision exists.

If the lad is ready to listen and be careful, it's a good skill to learn.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
    I'm speaking for myself here, at 13, I was probably able to handle a 3D printer. Can every 13 year old do it? Nope. Can a determined 13 year old do it? Yup.

Like others said, xbox, facebook, Iphones, clouds, apps and games all have learning curves just like printers do.
    Unlike xbox, facebook and iPhones, the 3D printer is a mechanical device capable of severely burning human skin. At 230c for ABS, the exposed hot end is the temperature of a 440f oven. I am also not sure how much downward force the z screws can supply but its focused on a tiny 1/8" diameter metal tip so any reasonable force is focused and concentrated in a small area. I am not willing to test it, but I suspect tiny fingers caught between the bed and the moving carriage would likely be injured, potentially held in place and then cooked to well done. Especially if the control computer was any significant distance from the printer where the trapped child couldn't reverse the carriage with the other arm/hand.

So, dangers DO exist. Thats why I said monitoring and training are always en vogue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast