Close

Finding the right extruder speed!!

Hey all,

Spending a lot of time doing the research, and seeing the values people have used to print at extremely high resolution (i.e. 20 microns or 50 microns per layer!), I've managed to work out a formula for a linear regression i.e. line of best fit for estimating the optimum extruder speed!

y = 0.622449x + 28.061224 is the formula you want - substitute X in for the layer height, and Y will be your extruder speed.

This is based on the following data: 20 micron print resolution, 40mm/s extruder speed; 50 micron : 60mm/s, 100 micron, 90mm/s. Obviously using makerware the speeds are capped at 90mm/s.

If anyone has any other data they've done (i.e. 10 micron layer, 5 micron layer (!!!), 59.39 micron layer etc, feel free to contribute it!

Banned
    Impressive. May I ask you how you even began to come up with that formula? 50 micron is pretty darn good.

Hey mate,

These were data values I got off somewhere I can't remember. I think off a test printing thing on thingiverse? And he stated which speeds he's used for 20 and 50 microns, so I've used that to find a line of best fit for that dataset! I'm in my penultimate year of engineering so this stuff is stuff I do all the time - I just put the values into my calculator, graphed it and used that to find a linear function. It won't be 100% accurate but pretty close - 40mm/s on a replicator 2 at 20 microns is getting long for anything over about a cubic inch or so but the finish is fantastic!

graphed it and used that to find a linear function.
    gclub เข้าไม่ได้