Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Your two cents needed: Will this work?

Hi all, this is my first post here but after some lurking you seem like the sensible group of fellows to get an opinion on an idea I've been tossing around for a while.

I've been looking for ways to really justify having a printer and I'm certain I'm not the only one. my field of expertise is in creating monsters, video game characters, sci fi objects or fantasy items and so on, and various people have expressed an interest in procuring them in some form.

The reason I'm coming to you is to gauge whether or not there would be an interest from the 3D printing community in some type of subscription to unique, original printables. Ultimately my goal is to make a monthly monster, raygun, movie or game replica props, test print it to work out the bugs, and put it out there in such a way that I can afford the time to make another one the following month and so on. I love making things and I'm hooked on printing so I'd like to fuse them in a fun way that a lot of other people might enjoy as well and while I see that there's a lot of cool stuff out there, I'm not always up for testing and tweaking a found design until it actually prints.

Here's some recent examples of my work, please reply and let me know what you think of the idea, your two cents are much appreciated!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I'll give you my 2 cents, those are fantastic! perhaps a few bits that could be fixed for overhangs, but overall sensational stuff.

In my experience people are afraid of detailed prints because.

1. Slicing time, so if you can keep them under 80mb that's good or at least that poly count.
    2. Hardly anyone paints them, so they wont use the detail
    3. Alot of printers just don't print the detail properly

I however am not scared of detailed models if you want to send me one to test I'd be more than happy, please check some of my makes so you know i'm not after a free model lol..

photo(106).jpgphoto(100).jpgphoto 2(25).jpgphoto(84).jpgphoto(87).jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/Geoffro/made
    http://www.thingiverse.com/Geoffro/designs

Quote Originally Posted by IanVP View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post here but after some lurking you seem like the sensible group of fellows to get an opinion on an idea I've been tossing around for a while.
    I've been looking for ways to really justify having a printer and I'm certain I'm not the only one. my field of expertise is in creating monsters ...
    Of course you need a printer...

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Welcome to our Forum.

Really nice organic modeling IanVP. Great ideas. Yes, you need a 3d printer as soon as you can get one. And, with Geoff's help you'll be making fantastic characters soon. Overhang's and other details get tricky but once you start printing you'll learn how to work around that. Sometimes you have to print in halves and glue the parts together. ABS glues simply with acetone.

Are you modeling in ZBrush or Mudbox? Your work is nice and the details are well modeled. Do you freelance? I occasionally have jobs that I need to hire an extra modeler if I can't do the whole job myself in the necessary time frame. In fact, I may have one soon so if you are interested, PM me.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I have a printer, those parts pictured were printed right here in my office

Also, hi RobH2 -- I work in Zbrush/3D Studio Max primarily. I'm a professional freelance artist including the odd sculpting and modeling job -- happy to talk further on the subject mate.

To all: thanks for the warm welcome and thanks to all for the feedback on overhangs. There have been a lot of experiments but I'm now getting a good feel for "The Rules." As a follow up to my original question: do you guys feel there is any demand in the community for cool prop-like or art like prints? I read Geoff's (great makes and paints, btw) comment about people shying away from complex parts and painting. Do you think that shyness might be overcome if it were clear that the pieces were well tested?
    Last edited by IanVP; 06-14-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I have a printer, those parts pictured were printed right here in my office

Also, hi RobH2 -- I work in Zbrush/3D Studio Max primarily. I'm a professional freelance artist including the odd sculpting and modeling job -- happy to talk further on the subject mate.

To all: thanks for the warm welcome and thanks to all for the feedback on overhangs. There have been a lot of experiments but I'm now getting a good feel for "The Rules." As a follow up to my original question: do you guys feel there is any demand in the community for cool prop-like or art like prints? I read Geoff's (great makes and paints, btw) comment about people shying away from complex parts and painting. Do you think that shyness might be overcome if it were clear that the pieces were well tested?
    It's not shyness really, I should have said reluctance... Depends on the machine you have really, like some of your models there is no way my printer will use the detail in the zbrush skin detailing, the tolerance is too low. A resin based printer is about the only thing that would faithfully print those or shapeways. There is plenty of demand for monster busts.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Thanks for the replies.

Yea, sorry I misread that. You said you were looking for a way to "justify" the printer, not buy one. Got it. I was reading way too fast.

PM me if you want to show me a website or your work. I may have something you could do for me.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's not shyness really, I should have said reluctance... Depends on the machine you have really, like some of your models there is no way my printer will use the detail in the zbrush skin detailing, the tolerance is too low.
    Understood. So I would need to design for the medium as it were and leverage medium scale details for the best output.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    There is plenty of demand for monster busts.
    Are there places where people that collect printables of this sort of thing tend to concentrate? I'd like to get an idea of what's out there and see how other folks are approaching the FDM sweet spot for detail.

Staff Engineer
    Eventually, say in 5 years or so, this will be the most viable way for toys to be distributed. Probably a toy-maker will bundle the printer with a subscription service, so it's paid for over time with models included. I expect it will be heavily promoted through the media, featuring popular licensed characters, so every kid will be begging for it at Xmas. But it will take a big company to pull it off, and 3D printers will have to be a lot better and easier to use. Hang in there!

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thanks for your reply @awerby. I should clarify my goal: I don't want to build a company distributing these to the masses for huge profits. My thought is to build a structured hobby that helps to pay for itself and maybe more over the long run. I guess I envision a more artisanal version of the whole concept. I think your thoughts about the size of the market are very reasonable. My perception of the makeup of the home FDM market is what lead me in a more collectibles direction (that and it's what I enjoy making).

I guess maybe it comes down to the answer to this question: can the printer print anything cool enough to be worth collecting and displaying to a viable percentage of the community and will they pay anything for the regular delivery of such items?

Thanks for helping me break question down more clearly.
    Last edited by IanVP; 06-14-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: question mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast