Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ramps Vs. Melzi Boards

When building a 3D printer, does anyone have any suggestions on using a Ramps board or a Melzi board? What are the benefits to each? It seems as though Ramps are used the majority of the time, but why?

Technician
    Simple, ramps are cheap. I picked up a ramps 1.4 + arduino + 5drivers + the LCD/SD card with click wheel for less than $50 shipped to my door. It also easier to repair a ramps if something smokes.

And it looks like ramps has more options for future expansion.

Why is probably because Ramps is older and more established. The Melzi board sort of feels like what the PrintrBoard was trying to do. (I have a PrintrBoard but wish I had a RAMPS setup)

Jaguarking11, can you point us to where all that can be acquired for $50 ? I would seriously consider ordering a set of parts!

Technician
    I have this one. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-...802988898.html

Hopefully that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarking11 View Post
    I have this one. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-...802988898.html

Hopefully that helps.

Thank You!!! That is a very good price! I'm going to order one.

Looks like a good deal as long as you can handle the lead time. Looks like it can take up to a month shipping from china, wowza

Technician
    Took mine about 15 days to get to me. Not too bad for about 1/2 the price you pay for similar kit from an e-bay seller.

Thanks jaguarking11 !!

I would just like to say to anyone about to buy or build RAMPS 1.3/1.4 that the MOSFET for the heated bed has been poorly chosen. Best thing you can do is drop one of these in it's place IRLB3813PBF MOSFET, N CH, 30V, 190A, TO220. If you plan to have a heated bed you should definitely do this or have a serious heatsink and fan. Even with decent cooling the standard one will fail quickly due to heat stress. The replacement barely gets warm with or without a heatsink.
    Last edited by brainscan; 07-04-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by brainscan View Post
    I would just like to say to anyone about to buy or build RAMPS 1.3/1.4 that the MOSFET for the heated bed has been poorly chosen. Best thing you can do is drop one of these in it's place IRLB3813PBF MOSFET, N CH, 30V, 190A, TO220. If you plan to have a heated bed you should definitely do this or have a serious heatsink and fan. Even with decent cooling the standard one will fail quickly due to hear stress. The replacement barely gets warm with or without a heatsink.
    Another answer is to just use the MOSFET on the board to drive the coil of a relay. The relay won't take much current from the board, and can be switched on and off to keep the temperature where ever it needs to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast