Close

Cura/Replicator G

I understand the I need to convert Cura Gcode into X3G, but any plugins I've found don't seem to work properly. Has anyone been able to get Cura code to communicate with the Flashforge in any way?

Thanks!

My Replicator G puts out these error messages when I try to work Cura code.

[10:49:17] ReplicatorG doesn't recognize GCode 'M190 S110.000000'
    [10:49:17] ReplicatorG doesn't recognize GCode 'M136 (enable build)'
    [10:49:17] ReplicatorG doesn't recognize GCode 'M135 T0'
    [10:49:17] ReplicatorG doesn't recognize GCode 'M133 T0'
    [10:49:19] ReplicatorG doesn't recognize GCode 'M137 (build end notification)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

also getting simalar error. i think its printer type or gcode flavor.

Student
    I think palawanisland is correct; it depends on what GCode flavour you're using.

I'm using Slic3r at the moment and that has an option (Printer Setting > Firmware) to select the correct flavour. If you're using Sailfish set it to "Sailfish (Makerbot)". My guess for the default firmware would be "Makerware (Makerbot)".

You can look up RepRap flavoured GCodes here http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code. E.g. the M190 command is to "wait for bed temperature to reach target temp". I think this is the equivalent Sailfish command "M6 T0; wait for bed and extruder to heat up", but I'm not sure about the rest.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the problem is that all the other slicers have options for makerbot flavour gcode - and none of them work with my flashforge.
    There is supposed to be a plugin for exporting to x3g for cura (the one I'd really like to be using) but buggered if I can find it.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    the problem is that all the other slicers have options for makerbot flavour gcode - and none of them work with my flashforge.
    There is supposed to be a plugin for exporting to x3g for cura (the one I'd really like to be using) but buggered if I can find it.
    The only way is to manually edit the text in the "Start/End Gcode" Tab in Cura before you export. Get a Gcode example from Replicator G, copy the start and end of the Gcode paste it in appropriately before and after the movement section. Then you have to export it back out as Gcode then you have to import it into RepG and then convert it to X3G.. alot of hassle.

Cura is similar to using makerware and the profile editor and at least you can connect to the machine from makerware.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Cura is similar to using makerware and the profile editor and at least you can connect to the machine from makerware. ]
    For once geoff - I have to massively disagree.

Cura is like a well tuned race car versus a 3 wheel steam banger compared to makerware.

Cura has total layer control, plugins that do lots of useful things, a slicing engine that slices even complex models in seconds with seriously optimised tool paths. all the fiddly, hidden stuff in the makerware slicer is available, simple and easy to use in cura.
    If there was a firmware that let me use cura on the flashforge I'd change it in a heartbeat.

Makerware is basic idiot software. On the grounds that Idiots don't want to know how or even what - just press the big red button.

Given how makerbot have continued to evolve their printers - I can see where you might not need easy access to all the detailed stuff.
    I, however cannot afford a makerbot original - so would like something that wasn't idiot software.

Makerware looks good and if you get exactly the right print surface and filament - it works quite well. But for any kind of adjustment it truly sucks the big one.

Doing a big print that doesn't need to be super precises. Cura lets you print the first few layers slower and at a higher resolution and then speed up and lower the resolution for the rest.
    Now given the type of detailed modesl you seem to exclusively print geoff I can see your point.
    personally I'm far more likely to want to print fast and dirty most of the time, and for that makerware is almost useless.