Close

Threaded View

Portabee GO problems - Extruder not extruding!

Note: (From the future!!! - sort of...)
    So, I've fixed the connection problem, but now the extruder won't work. I've posted more in a reply below...

Hello!
    I'm new to 3D printing. I ordered a Portabee GO (Link here, because apparently nobody else has heard of this printer - portabee3dprinter.com) back in December, and it finally arrived the other day. (I know, terrible shipping time. It had to go through 4+ countries to get to Canada which makes a very long shipping time, and a lot of customs fees. Also, the Portabee 3D people didn't actually ship it until after April) Anywho! I followed the quick start guide (set up and unfolded the printer, installed Pronterface). I've tried on both Windows and Ubuntu (Ubuntu is my preferred OS, but I don't really care as long as it works). I plug in the printer to the computer and the wall power outlet. I enter in the location of the printer (COM3 on windows, and /dev/ttyACM0 on Ubuntu), and set the baud rate to 250000, which is what the manual suggests. However, when I click connect, the status box on the right shows: "Connecting...", and the printer whirrs (I believe it's the extruder heating up), but nothing else happens. I've left it like this for about 1/2 an hour just to make sure I'm not being stupid and need to wait longer, but it still won't do anything. It just stays on "Connecting...". I know that not many people seem to know about this printer (The Portabee GO) in particular, but if anyone knew any similar printers (I believe it is a RepRap printer, and on windows it used a driver called RAMBo), or just how to fix this on 3D printers in general, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    - Luke

EDIT! I've now started looking closer at the printer, trying to find a solution, and I noticed that there are two red LEDs on the motherboard. One appears to be a power light, and turns on whenever the printer is plugged into the wall, but there is another that turns on solid after I've closed Pronterface after trying to connect, and having it not work. About a minute after closing Pronterface, it turns off. BUT! When I press the connect button in pronterface, it turns off, and occasionally flashes. After looking at it closer with a flashlight, I noticed that it is labeled USB. Not sure if this is useful info to anybody, just thought I'd add it on.
    Last edited by LuketheDUKE902; 06-16-2014 at 02:07 PM.