Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Pretty much, any printer you get will be able to print those items. But here is the one thing that comes to mind. All of those items you want to be strong with minimum weight. You might want to set your slicer program to produce very thin walls with no infill. If so, that might affect what size nozzle (very small) that you want and it might affect what plastic you choose to use for the print. You are going to have to experiment to get things where you are happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Pretty much, any printer you get will be able to print those items. But here is the one thing that comes to mind. All of those items you want to be strong with minimum weight. You might want to set your slicer program to produce very thin walls with no infill. If so, that might affect what size nozzle (very small) that you want and it might affect what plastic you choose to use for the print. You are going to have to experiment to get things where you are happy with them.

Yeah, I don't expect things to be a "put it together and go" situation. I expect a lot of trial and error and a lot of frustration! I will keep on the search for the best printer that will suit my needs, but other than that I'll continue the research.

If I was able to save the money would a maker bot be worth it? I know it's not DIY, but for the price is it worth it? Or could I build my own killer printer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Saunders View Post
    If I was able to save the money would a maker bot be worth it? I know it's not DIY, but for the price is it worth it? Or could I build my own killer printer?
    People's opinions vary on this.... But for sure, I'm in the "Build your printer." camp.

I think you will find that for the specs offered they are outrageously overpriced. I don't personnaly think that a wifi-connected video transmitting to an app is a must... I just want to print. Also their line of product is now PLA only, which may be a hindrance depending on your projects.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    I think you will find that for the specs offered they are outrageously overpriced. I don't personnaly think that a wifi-connected video transmitting to an app is a must... I just want to print. Also their line of product is now PLA only, which may be a hindrance depending on your projects.

I have noticed that, and I was thinking it had to be overpriced. What would be a top of the like DIY one?

I have noticed that, and I was thinking it had to be overpriced. What would be a top of the like DIY one?
    Try this.... Go to eBay and search for "3D-Printer i3 kit" Then tell it to sort from highest price to lowest price. There are some VERY VERY nice kits that have absolutely everything for $850. And of course, that is without doing any work to find the best deal.

Right now, you should be able to get a very good kit that has everything you need for $500 without trying very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Try this.... Go to eBay and search for "3D-Printer i3 kit" Then tell it to sort from highest price to lowest price. There are some VERY VERY nice kits that have absolutely everything for $850. And of course, that is without doing any work to find the best deal.

Right now, you should be able to get a very good kit that has everything you need for $500 without trying very hard.
    Okay so if I may ask, what is the difference between the cheap and expensive? Is the I3 referring to the design or the electronics? Do the more expensive ones cost more because they look prettier and go together easier or do they have more precise electronics.... resulting in a better print?

Okay so if I may ask, what is the difference between the cheap and expensive? Is the I3 referring to the design or the electronics? Do the more expensive ones cost more because they look prettier and go together easier or do they have more precise electronics.... resulting in a better print?
    Opinions are going to vary... But right now a lot of people think the Prusa i3 printer is a good choice for somebody starting out in 3D printing. It might be worth while to look at pictures of the Prusa i2 and compare them to the i3. (I actually think the i2 looks better, but it has some issues with its print envelope) I have an i3 derivative. My frame is made out of MDF. Those nice printers at the high end of the price list probably use milled aluminum frames.

No matter what printer you get, if you really enjoy it, you are going to out grow it. Especially with all in one printers that have CNC milling options and laser engraving options built in. Probably you won't be able to anticipate everything you could possibly need (want). So, starting with something that does a lot at a reasonable price tag might be the right answer. And certainly, for $500 you can get a very nice Prusa i3 kit right now!

Mostly, you need to decide things like "Do I really need or want an LCD panel on my printer?" Or, "Do I care about the electronics that drive the printer?" Depending on your answers, you can shift what you buy to better meet your needs and probably lower the cost.

Some Prusa i3 use a laser cut, wood frame and others use a metal frame. For a host of reasons, I feel the metal frame is worth the extra cost. I have built several Prusa i3 and they print very well and gave a generous build area. Last month I built a Kosell Delta printer " just because" and it was a fun, fast build and prints nice, but not as good as the Prusa. My son send I presently have six printers in our printer farm, half are built from scratch and half are production machines, so we have some that cost around $500.00 to over $4,000.00. Done with a single extruder and some with multiple extruders. Each gas advantages and drawbacks.

if you are still thinking of building a Prusa, visit our website and check out our BOM and our build instructions. We have had dozens of our kits built and none have taken more than a weekend.

Www.botbuilder.net

Last edited by JohnA136; 06-17-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added url

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast