Close

Part Made from HDPE

I'm looking to get a part 3d printed out of HDPE (High-density polyethylene). The dimensions of the part are roughly 6" x 10" x 46", but it would be possible to print the part in sections and weld them together. The choice of material is critical to the function of the part. If anyone can print HDPE parts or knows of a shop that can make HDPE parts please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for the response. From my research online I haven't found anyone offering HDPE as a commercial service, but I've seen some say it can be done, and some claim it cannot. I know the size of my part won't be helpful either. From my experience hot air welding thermoplastics, HDPE is pretty easy to weld and readily sticks to itself. I'm only starting to learn about 3D printing, but I would be shocked if you would need adhesives to get softened HDPE to stick to itself. Especially having worked with welding HDPE, I'm shocked it isn't already being used in 3D printing.

The issue is that HDPE has a very high hydrogen content (C2H4) and no elements other than carbon and hydrogen. I am using HDPE as a medium to slow down neutrons, so the material choice is not structural, but stems from how it interacts with neutrons. PLA is no good due to its oxygen content. ABS might be a possibility, and I plan to discuss its potential in a few weeks when I meet with some colleagues. 3D printing wasn't considered when this project began, so we quickly settled on HDPE as a material choice and we have built the first prototype. However through this process it has become clear that if we could 3D print the part, we could achieve a design that just isn't reasonable or possible to make otherwise (as well as avoiding a lot of tedious welding). Also, if there is binder material being used with any suitable plastic, it would have to be discussed for adverse neutron interaction (scattering).

We are located just outside Chicago, IL.

-Anthony
    Materials Development, Inc
    www.matsdev.com