Close

Technician

Repetier firmware

I switched from Marlin to Repetier a few days ago and wish I had done it more soon.
    I got a simple 20x4 screen on my delta printer but I can do anything directly from the printer now,
    no more need for Pronterface, It even has auto calibration especially for delta printers.
    Also the possibility to store everything in EEPROM is a big plus.
    Any Repetier firmware users here?

Student
    Im a user of Repetier firmware, but as of now im controlling the printer from my laptop, I have a plan to upgrade the board (gen 7 v 1.5) with a SD card reader + display

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by borupdk View Post
    Im a user of Repetier firmware, but as of now im controlling the printer from my laptop, I have a plan to upgrade the board (gen 7 v 1.5) with a SD card reader + display
    Yeah stand alone printing is a big advantage, I'm checking wifi possibilities to make it even more convenient ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Egon van Engelen View Post
    Yeah stand alone printing is a big advantage, I'm checking wifi possibilities to make it even more convenient ;o)
    I just use a brute force approach. I have an obsolete laptop that is dedicated to running Pronterface and making the printer do things. It is on my wireless network, so I just load what ever GCode I'm going to send to the printer into Pronterface running on the Dinosaur machine and let it rip. For me, the display (and control) on the Dinosaur is superior to what I would get with a little LCD display. And moving a GCode file across a wireless connection is much faster and easier than sticking it on an SD-Memory card and then having to plug that in and select an 8.3 filename....

But to each his own!

Technician
    Hi Roxy, so you kinda print stand alone because you have a dedicated and fast enough laptop ;o)
    I still use my laptop for tweaking because the Repetier Host software gives me all the options I need.
    But for daily use you don't need this and I can power use my laptop without the fear of the printer interrupting.

Technologist
    I have a Raspberry Pi standing by. As soon as I get all the bugs out of my new printer I'm going to install Octoprint. To me this seems like a better option than both the LCD screen and the SD card.

Technician
    Nice, that looks promising, thanks for sharing. Now I only have to wait for a OSX version.

Quote Originally Posted by Egon van Engelen View Post
    Hi Roxy, so you kinda print stand alone because you have a dedicated and fast enough laptop ;o)
    I still use my laptop for tweaking because the Repetier Host software gives me all the options I need.
    But for daily use you don't need this and I can power use my laptop without the fear of the printer interrupting.
    Hi Egon!

Yeah... That is exactly why I took the Dinosaur out of retirement. Sometimes Windows would crash and my print was ruined. And I always got nervous when I started a large compile or something else that beat on the machine. The 3D-Printer would start to stutter. But to your point... Yes, I guess it is a stand alone system except it is nicely networked to where all the real design and compilation work happens.

Technician
    Yeah that's why I'm looking into wifi on the printer, would be nice to have all connected.

btw did you try Repertier Host as a alternative to Pronterface? I'm not even sure it works well with Marlin but I think you will like the console part.