Close

Is Stratasys stock downfall due to MakerBot?

Do you guys think that the reason that Stratasys' stock is so low is because of their acquisition of MakerBot. I've been hearing a lot of people (mostly those that dislike Makerbot) say this is the reason. I personally dont' think so. The entire 3D printing industry's stock prices have decreased as of late. I dont' think the acquisition of Makerbot is the factor here.

I would argue the opposite. The fact that SSYS did not drop as much as some of those other stocks have may in fact be due to the better than expected numbers coming from their Makerbot division. Most investors and traders don't trade based on a few people disliking a company, they trade on results. Just my opinion.

I agree with Brian. MakerBot gives Stratasys another avenue for revenue.

The company I work for here in Thailand is/was looking into the purchase of a 3D printer as more and more often we have a need for rapid development of small parts for prototyping, infact I was having some printed myself through a friend in Australia.

We sent off a file to Stratsys to quote on and also to bring a sample to a meeting.

Their print seemed sample seemed to be well made and comparable to the one's I was having printed. I mentioned in the meeting I was personally looking to buy a makerbot and could they justify the price of the printer they were trying to sell us (some 50k USD) that on paper did not really out spec the sub 2k makerbot I was looking to buy.

For 20 minutes the sales person ranted on how crap the makerbot is and it cannot be used in Thailand due to the constant high temperature and humidity.

Anywho for less than 1k USD I purchased a Wanhao duplicator 4 and am now printing parts for work.

I did not know that Stratsys owned Makerbot and at the time thought the rant was just to discourage me from buying a cheap machine (compared to the cost of the one offered).