Close

Trick for using Glue Stick on Print Bed

I now there has been a lot of discussion around what types of tricks people use for getting their prints to stick to their print beds. This is a trick that I found on reddit, that really does work extremely well.

• heat the bed to temperature, ~110-115C
    • put a single, good coat of glue stick over the bed
    • let the glue dry
    • let the bed cool
    • Use a razor blade and scrape of the dry glue
    • Use a paper towel with rubbing alcohol to remove the remaining stuck glue.
    You will definitely need the razor blade in order ot get the glue off. Has anyone else used this method?

Technician
    I know some people who only heat up the bed to 40C to make this work. I also read that there is no need to clean the glue from the building plate but just spread it again with a bit of water and a brush, then let it dry again.
    I tried this method and it didn't work so well, I don't have a heated bed so I think it has something to do with the temperature doing the trick.

Gonna give this a try this evening... Will let you know how it goes.

Engineer-in-Training
    I print PLA on glass using glue stick, no need to heat anything, just apply it to the surface and off you go. After a print I usually just wet my finger, smooth out the areas were the print was in contact with the bed and print again; after two or three times is a good idea to use glue stick again, depending on how good I want my print to stick.

Technician
    @CaptainObvious, want to share the brand of glue stick you use, might be that i'm using the wrong one.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon van Engelen View Post
    @CaptainObvious, want to share the brand of glue stick you use, might be that i'm using the wrong one.
    UHU brand, they come in yellow tubes, small and large size.

Technician
    Thanks, I will try if I can find that somewhere.

Thanks CaptainObvious. I just grabbed myself some UHU, and I must say, it works very nicely! Thanks for the tip.

Engineer-in-Training
    I forgot to point out that after printing two or three times on the same layer of glue stick I clean the glass print bed with a wet tissue before re-applying the glue.