Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technologist
    That is so awesome thanks so much for sharing.

Technician
    Really nice work Geoff, I also like the package presentation.
    With painting you are the king, I'm anxious to see your next models ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    How come there is no copyright infringement?

OME
    Because he's not trying to sell it.

If some famous author paints a picture of a famous bridge from a certain location and Copyrights it... It is perfectly safe to stand in the exact same spot and take a photograph of the bridge.
    Bad analogy. George Lucas didn't base his characters on actual people. He owns the copyright to the names and appearance of those characters. If someone tries to profit off those characters he can sue them.

If some author writes a Boy meets Girl, Boy loses Girl, Boy gets Girl back war story and Copyright's it... It isn't likely you would run into trouble writing a book with the same theme if you didn't copy anything from his book.
    But if your characters have the same names and appearance of the characters in the original story, then you'd be guilty of copyright infringement.

If I ever get a letter from Disney, they will get a response from me of over 1000 links to sites selling star wars things. When they deal with those, I'll take that letter seriously, if I ever get one.
    If you ever tried to profit from it, you wouldn't last five minutes in court. Lucas learned a long time ago to look the other way regarding fan fiction and spoof movies as long as people weren't doing them for profit.

Steve S

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by steve s View Post
    Because he's not trying to sell it.

Bad analogy. George Lucas didn't base his characters on actual people. He owns the copyright to the names and appearance of those characters. If someone tries to profit off those characters he can sue them.

But if your characters have the same names and appearance of the characters in the original story, then you'd be guilty of copyright infringement.

If you ever tried to profit from it, you wouldn't last five minutes in court. Lucas learned a long time ago to look the other way regarding fan fiction and spoof movies as long as people weren't doing them for profit.

Steve S
    He also sold the right to care for 4 billion dollars to Disney

If you ever tried to profit from it, you wouldn't last five minutes in court.
    Of course, and who would want to take Disney on in court? not me!

hence the reason I wouldn't dare sell it, but if we want to get into the nitty gritty, just take a quick stroll on Ebay and search for unofficial toys, T-shirts, models and sculptures based off restricted licensing.. mind blown.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12