Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vibration isolation

With beta builders starting to show off some initial printing attempts I'm reminded of something I've been thinking about since update #13 when the team mentioned some issues caused by vibrations. Seeing colehards latest cylinder print (http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post15808) I'm wondering if vibrations may be the cause of the rough walls.

Has anyone considered attempting some kind of vibration isolation like mounting the entire printer enclosure on top of a partially inflated inner tube (a method I remember being suggested for home holography)?

A quick search on "holography vibration isolation" leads down a deep deep rabbit hole most of which may be relevant. One big question becomes what kind of vibrations and at what frequency are the most detrimental to print quality since that would determine the best way to dampen them.

Technician
    I think this would be nice since it wouldn't take a bunch of work to integrate it to the rest of the printer like many other modifications. I'm interested to hear other people's ideas on this.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
    A quick search on "holography vibration isolation" leads down a deep deep rabbit hole most of which may be relevant.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. DIY holography is a deceptively intense hobby. (expensive, too.)

Almost everything used in holography is going to be drastic overkill for SLA, but sometimes overkill is what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself. DIY holography is a deceptively intense hobby. (expensive, too.)

Almost everything used in holography is going to be drastic overkill for SLA, but sometimes overkill is what you need.
    there is no such thing as overkill ;-P

Engineer-in-Training
    The vibrations in question will not be solved by placing the printer on anything. The vibrations that need sorting out are the vibrations of the acetate arrow. The current dampening system is being reworked. What would you guys do if you were the ones reworking it?

Honestly?
    I probably would have started with a marginally more expensive base-system, and gone with this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20Kpps-Hig...item3a8ea1b27d
    or similar, and then make the control signal to match ILDA standards. Galvo's are becomming so afordable now, that I think homemade ones are more headache than it's worth. - Just my 2p worth.

/Martin

Engineer-in-Training
    *drool* That galvo is crazy rad, but no good for $119. Doubles the cost of the whole project!

Actually I don't think so... How much would be left of the existing printer, once you put in the galvo set? - isn't that most of the build?
    The way I see it, a set like this, and an audio amp, to get to more ideal levels input for the galvo's....
    Maybe can be done for around 150 instead of the 100, but I think you would avoid a lot of trouble. Sometimes we can go to far to save a few bucks, compared to how many compromises are needed....

/Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Anuvin View Post
    The vibrations in question will not be solved by placing the printer on anything. The vibrations that need sorting out are the vibrations of the acetate arrow. The current dampening system is being reworked. What would you guys do if you were the ones reworking it?
    would it help to put a second set of magnets on the bottom of the galvo with a second coil (basically mirror the top of the galvo system) and use the equalization of the magnetism cancel out most of the vibration and then instead of a little flag with some oil to cause drag use a full disk that the acetate arrow slips through the middle of, on further reflection perhaps the acetate is to flexible so maybe they should switch to a styrene for the arrows, my only other suggestion would be to add "wings" to the arrows (same principle as a longer see-saw) it would slow the print speed a bit but would dampen any vibrations or "jumps" in the mirrors.
    Last edited by Aztecphoenix; 05-21-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: further reflection

@Martin:
    Have you been at the Form1 userforum? The Form1 uses similar galvos, and Formlabs have had a lot of trubble with them. The printers start out printing really high resolution, but degrade after a while... Some users have had their printers replaced 3 times......

Johan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast