Close

Normal Calibration Process?

What are your guys normal calibration process once you have finished the building of your RepRap? My pal is just finishing his and he is clueless when it comes to calibrating it.

Technologist
    I use this guide: http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunte...ibration_Guide

The stacked calibration cube is painful but does show all the problems that you have and help you get an idea how to proceed.

FYI - my latest printrbot had a link to a firmware file and a configuration file for slic3r. After installing those I didn't have to do anything else to my printer except set an offset specific to autoleveling. The slic3r recommendations, especially, was a huge help to getting up and going quickly. Not sure what printer you guys built but MakerFarm may have the same.

Have fun!

Besides making sure belts are all tight and everything is spaced right (nuts/bolts);

My first print when testing anything is 20mm cube - Hollow or solid.
    I do this whenever I build or tweak a printer, whenever I get a roll of ABS (to check quality) or any mods.

It's easy to see errors, size to see if anything is wrong, layers.
    The hollow cube shows your bridging too! Gap to Gap.

Once it seems right, I print both together.

Technologist
    Not to argue that the 20mm cube won't work, it will, but the nice thing about the stacked cube is that will reveal bridging problems, inside dimensional issues, outside dimensional issues, solid layer problems, cooling issues, etc. I like it better than any other calibration object because it takes care of many things at once and shows you where to focus your efforts in firmware and/or slicing. The small, 5mm cube at the top will always reveal if you are cooling each layer properly. It really is a useful object that does it all at once.

We need a 'thanks' button in here
    Do you have a link for this stacked cube? I didnt find it (ctrl+f "stacked") on the calibration page.

Technologist
    Here it is. Thanks to you too

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24238

Cheers,

KDog

Quote Originally Posted by KDog View Post
    Here it is. Thanks to you too

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24238

Cheers,

KDog
    I'm going to print this in the morning... (Sadly... I don't trust my printer enough to just start it and go to bed.)

Technologist
    BTW, if you buy an assembled Printrbot, you will find one of these stacked cubes on the bed when you get it. They use it as a quality control print just before shipping.

I trust my printer when I'm in bed....problem is that the sound keeps me up! My apartment is rather small. Keep meaning to get a bigger place but never get around to it :P

That stepped cube is a good calibration print! And if you print a couple of them, they can and do fit together nicely!