Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I've given up on the mks sbase.
    Not sure if it's me or smoothieware, but it's either not updating the configuration file - or it's not reading it properly.

So as I also have an unused mks Base 1.5 - I've decided to go with that and - at least to start with - marlin.
    I know I know. But I found this page: https://github.com/melvinchng/AnetA8_MKSBase1.5
    And as far as I can see it's also a straight swap for the second z-motor to the second extruder socket.

From what I've read for a z-axis (very slow speed, high torque) you either need to wire in serial - and after looking at a bunch of articles and diagrams, it still does not make any sense - or use two stepper driver sockets.
    The fact that creality actually make boards where the two z-sockets are hardwired in parallel, sharing the single driver chip - is enough for me to want to not do that :-)
    It's clearly a cheap and nasty option ;-)

And given that what i have is essentially an anet a8 clone and the exact same board and screen hardware - this looks like a good option.

Shame about the smoothieware - but it just does not do what it says it does. Newer firmware doesn't even load properly on the sbase board.

We'll see :-)

At least this way I can hassle Autowhiz when marlin gives me hassle, lol

Oh yeah talking about cheap and nasty. Not only does the ctc board Not come with a bootloader, it is also missing the pins that you use to program it with an add on module.
    The chips must be installed preprogrammed, I guess that the fact they also use an atmega 128, is why they use such an old and nasty version of marlin.

I actually wanted to use my cheaper lcd screen with the knob/button as the touch screen is a bit 'touchy'. It's pressure not conductace and has a tendency to activate the wrong button or two at once.
    But for the life of me i can not remember where I put it and I've spent a couple hours looking for it to no avail.
    If it turns up I can add it - hell it's already installed in a holder and mount - should make it easier to spot, right ?
    Yeah you'd think so lol
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-24-2020 at 02:48 PM.