Close

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse

MakerFarm 8" i3v Prusa build by Printbus

Notes and observations from my i3v build are captured here. My assembly goals included seeing what I could do to improve the appearance of the completed printer. The i3v is expected to be my only 3D printer for a long time, and I want it to look good whether in use or on the shelf. Primary areas of emphasis were in gluing some of the wood components, filling the post and slot wood joints, painting, and a major effort on cable dressing and routing. Various mechanical tweaks were incorporated as I saw a need for them during the assembly. Whether these extra efforts were necessary or not is irrelevant. It's just part of how I approach things and part of the reason why I bought a kit instead of an assembled printer. I admit that I'm unusually nitpicky about things, but some of my observations and suggestions may still be of value to others.

Subassembly notes and pictures are provided in the same sequence of the MakerFarm i3v build guide. All notes here are with respect to the 8-inch i3v kit, build guide, and build videos as they were around May 2014. Note that in my case I had glued various wood components together in an initial assembly pass prior to painting. Info that follows is mostly derived from final assembly after painting.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT: Readers need to note that the bulk of the build thread is based on the 8-inch printer, and based on the 8-inch printer as it was in early 2014. While some concepts will apply to newer 8-inch kits and the newer, larger printers, MakerFarm has been making changes to the printer designs. All mods and improvements discussed in this thread should be assessed for suitability on the updated kits before they are attempted.

The thread includes a lot of detail on purpose. Feel free to skip it if you're expecting a quick read.

Also note that as of April 2015, 3DPrintBoard was having problems properly displaying images and dealing with other attachments. Printbus posts in the thread have been revised to now link to images and attachments stored offsite from 3DPrintBoard.

THREAD TABLE OF CONTENTS
    GENERAL OBSERVATIONS
    X MOTOR SUBASSEMBLY
    X IDLER SUBASSEMBLY
    Y IDLER SUBASSEMBLY
    Y BED SUBASSEMBLY
    X CARRIAGE SUBASSEMBLY
    Y MOTOR SUBASSEMBLY
    FRAME, X AXIS SUBASSEMBLY, and X AXIS INSTALLATION
    X AXIS ALIGNMENT
    Y AXIS
    LCD INTERFACE AND LCD INSTALLATION
    Z MOTOR
    THERMISTOR BUILD
    HEAT BED INSTALLATION
    ENDSTOP INSTALLATION
    EXTRUDER AND HEXAGON HOT END
    POWER SUPPLY and RAMPS MOUNTING
    WIRE ROUTING (Part One)
    WIRE ROUTING (Part Two)
    MOTOR TESTING and ENDSTOP ADJUSTMENT
    BED LEVELING
    GARBAGE DATA ON LCD DISPLAY
    HEAT BED CLIPS
    WRAPUP COMMENTS ON THE INITIAL BUILD
    SIX WEEK STATUS UPDATE
    Y MOTOR COOLING FAN
    IMPROVED KILL SWITCH
    NOISE AND VIBRATION REDUCTIONS
    MINOR FIRMWARE PERSONALIZATION
    EXTRUDER REBUILD AND NEW PRINT COOLER (Part 1 of 2)
    EXTRUDER REBUILD AND NEW PRINT COOLER (Part 2 of 2)
    DISABLING POWER FROM USB
    TWEAKS TO THE COUPLERS ON THE Z-AXIS RODS
    RAMPS STEPPER MOTOR DRIVER COOLING FAN
    NOV 2014 BENCHMARKS USING MAKE: 2015 TEST MODELS
    RUNNING SUMMARY OF CONFIGURATION SETTINGS
    DISPLAY BEZEL
    REPURPOSED SPOOL MOUNT
    NEW MOTORS AND MORE
    POWER MODIFICATIONS
    NEW APPROACH FOR THE HEXAGON HOT END SHROUD
    SMOOTHIEBOARD AND OTHER UPGRADES
    DECEMBER 2016 STATUS UPDATE
    PRINT BED REVAMP
    FEBRUARY 2019 STATUS UPDATE
    RASPBERRY PI AND OCTOPRINT
    Z-AXIS LEAD SCREW UPGRADE
    X-CARRIAGE AND EXTRUDER REPLACEMENT
    placeholder
    Last edited by printbus; 02-03-2019 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added new table of contents entry