Close

Banned

Comparing Wohler's 3D Printing Predictions from 2011 to Actual Numbers

I find it quite amazing that even Terry Wohler's predictions for the value of the 3D printing market were much too low in 2011. In a May of 2011 report Wohlers issued the following guidance as to the value of the 3d printing market. His numbers were as follows:

• $3.1 billion by 2016
    • $5.2 billion by 2020

Here we are just 27 months later and now lets look at the actual numbers now and his predictions now:

• 2013 - Actual Value of 3D Printing market: $3.07 billion (That's nearly what Wohler Reported 36 months ago for 2016) We are 3 years ahead of schedule already
    • 2021 - Wohlers now expects the market to be worth over $10 billion by 2021. Compare that to his predictions in 2011 that by 2020 it the value would be $5.2 billion

I have always said that even the analysts and researchers are drastically underestimated the 3D printing market. This just goes to show how far off they have been already. I would be willing to bet that by 2020, we will all be laughing again at these numbers. 3D printign will transfor the world within 5-6 years. Mark this post!

I didn't realize we have surpassed the 2016 prediction already. Some people think that Wohler's has been overestimating the 3D printing industry. I guess they are incorrect.

I think we are following the typically S curve of developing technology.

I would say we are near end of the innovation cycle and soon we will see the explosive growth cycle. if this is true i would say wohler underestimated the market value yet again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MrSmiley666; 05-20-2014 at 10:40 AM.