Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm curious, what kind of resin are you going to use for a functional bike part?
    I'll probably get started with the Industrial blend from these guys:
    http://www.funtodo.net/our-3d-resin-properties.html

or this one from Makerjuice:
    http://cadprint.ch/index.php/en/onli...g-1l-28-detail

But there are new ones every few months on the market,

I might try to add some carbon micro fibers to see if it helps....

Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    I'll probably get started with the Industrial blend from these guys:
    http://www.funtodo.net/our-3d-resin-properties.html

or this one from Makerjuice:
    http://cadprint.ch/index.php/en/onli...g-1l-28-detail

But there are new ones every few months on the market,

I might try to add some carbon micro fibers to see if it helps....
    When you finally get the printer and start messing with it, please post your progress on this. I'm really curious to see how it goes.

Follow wpilgrim On Twitter Add wpilgrim on Facebook Add wpilgrim on Thingiverse
    When you finally get the printer and start messing with it, please post your progress on this. I'm really curious to see how it goes.
    Agreed, I would like to see your progress in this area as well.

96 microns is a huge layer height for SLA/DLP. That's where much of the speed is coming from. Most SLA/DLP machines print from 20-50 micron layers (with pro machines going as low as 6 microns). Printing half as many layers means printing twice as fast. Printing 25% as many layers means printing four times faster, and so on.

The FSL3D Pegasus Touch was originally designed to print 50 micron layers when it first launched on Kickstarter at the end of last year. At the time, they were boasting about its speed. They eventually redesigned it to print slower with smaller layers due to an overwhelming number of requests in the campaign's comments. This required a switch to a different laser. It's easy to imagine the Kast printer running into a similar situation. People don't buy SLA/DLP for speed. They buy it for print quality.

Brian, I'm not sure I agree about cured resin being the future of desktop fabrication. I believe it currently has the highest growth potential due to 3D artists finally being turned on to 3D printing and demanding high print quality, but I don't think it will ever become more popular than FDM, because FDM is capable of employing a much wider variety of materials (polycarbonate, nylon, rubber-like, wood/metal/stone composites). SLA/DLP is great for precision items intended for investment casting or for art, but it's not real good at functional everyday products such as smartphone cases, R/C car parts, wooden jewelry boxes, etc...

That being said, cured resin is definitely the way to go if you are a 3D artist, because the detail is superior. I expect this to be locked down until the CubeJet is finally released, at which point artists will have to decide between superior detail and full color sandstone.
    96 microns is not the layer height, that is the X/Y resolution. As in the smallest feature possible and in this case the pixel density of the screen itself. This is actually pretty good compared to most other SLA printers that are laser based (lowest claimed x/y resolution being 150 microns, Form1+ is at 300 microns for example). Sure it doesn't beat DLP's at its best, but given the build area with 96 microns x/y res, its a winner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12