Close

3DXTech's 3DXNano Carbon Nanotube 3D Printer Filament

We all know that nearly every day new 3D printer filament types emerge on the market, however this filament is quite impressive. A Company out of Michigan called 3DXTech has recently announced their new Carbon Nanotube infused ABS plastic filament. They are charging $62.00 per 1 kg spool of 1.75mm filament. Here are some of the details provided by the company:

3DXNano™ ESD Carbon Nanotube Filaments
    • We are developing a broad family of 3D Printing filaments based on state-of-the-art carbon nanotube technology.
    • Focused on critical applications in the Auto, E/E, Industrial, and Semi-Con markets that require ESD protection.
    • CNT-based filaments have superior ductility, cleanliness, and consistency compared to traditional carbon black compounds.

We were able to speak with the President of the company Matthew Howlett a few days ago and posted the following article along with some exclusive images of products which were printed with the 3DXNano filament. The article can be found here: http://3dprint.com/3701/3dxtech-carb...inter-filament

Here is an exclusive photo we were able to obtain, which is a pair of tweezers printed with their 3DXNano carbon nanotube filament:

Engineer-in-Training
    I'm surprised he didn't provide a sample spool. It seems the feature being promoted is ESD control, I thought there was supposed to be some amount of strength enhancement too. ESD control seems to be a rather niche target market.

Engineer
    www.pushplastic.com has this material. they are either a distributor or the actual extruding company for the designer. not really sure the relationship there. they seem partnered somehow. the carbon filament above is sold by push plastic for $48.95 with shipping. apparently 3dxtech also has some other ones as well. an abs/nylon filament and a special hips one as well.

This sounds very interesting. I find it odd that a company is using carbon nanotubes, but it doesn't make the material any stronger. I'd definitely love to try this stuff out. What's the pricing?

Engineer
    there are 4 post in this thread and the pricing is in 2 of them haha

But do they have something out now that has little or no resistance? The real application for this is printing your own circuit boards.
    Imagine the time savings. Yes the layers of a multilayer board would be much thicker than traditional boards, unless you print at 0.1mm
    layer thickness, but so what. You would be printing your own freakin' circuit boards!!!