Close

Production Masters for a Steampunk USB thumb drive

Long time 3D guy, but this is my first 3D print, done for a game company as merchandising for their new steampunk board game.

image.jpg

Modeled in XSI, mostly in nurbs, then converted to polys before stl export.
    Printed in clear blue resin on a 3D Systems Projet at Layer Made, a print service in Auburn, WA.
    The final enclosures will consist of two identical halves each for the body and cap, cast in white urethane resin and painted in various colors with gold trim.
    The production run will be for ~1500 units (I believe, might be more or less, depending on the final quote on painting costs).

Beautiful details!

Technician
    Yes, very nice!

This looks great. I wish I had a Projet at my disposal. May I ask you how you have access to such a nice printer?

I don't! It's my client that has access to a projet...because she has access to a budget!

But seriously...the main body model of the USB enclosure is only about 7.82 cm^3, so it cost around $35 bucks to print up, including setup fees. Including the cap, all in, probably less than $50. I only had to model half, since a complete unit is two cast copies of each part glued together. The first design I proposed was so complicated, she couldn't afford to have a third of the units made, so my customer was very happy with the simpler approach.