Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    actually the most expensive thing is going to be the printbed.
    A sheet of aluminium (alu-mi-num for americans) 2 metres by 40cm by, I dunno 6mm ? Is not only going to be interesting to buy, but it needs to be perfectly flat.
    Might be easier to use glass. Would be cheaper and possibly flatter. Mirrors are often used as print beds. Maybe salvage something from an old wardrobe.
    Then there's the issue of heating it.
    You could go for an unheated bed, but all filaments stick far more reliably to a heated one - plus once the bed has cooled it's generally much easier to remove the print.

There are reasons you don't see many printers that size.

Well, if he went with an enclosure (heated?) maybe he could run the 2m part vertically?

I'm guessing it would be easier to do with a Delta printer design, but as I said, I'm very new to this.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah a 2m delta would be a fairly easy build. Particularly with aflying extruder.
    But parts would probably take longer to make and bear in mind the way a body panel is fitted and flexes you don't want a vertical build on the long axis. If you do that you risk it cracking along the layer bond everytime it flexes.

The part will be massively stronger and properly flexible if the long axis is printed horizontally.
    Also less lines to sand and you can use a larger nozzle size which would also cut down on visible lines.

If you're going to produce end useable commercial parts - then you'll have to print horizontally on the long axis.

Good info, thanks man!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12