Close

Threaded View

Monoprice Select Mini - Brim Curling up on edges

Hello!

Kind of new to printing (you can probably tell by the type of printer I bought) and I've managed to google my way through several different minor disasters while printing, but I have one issue that is continually plaguing me, no matter what I do.

Curling.

I'll post a picture once my current "level test" print finishes (I recently figured out I was mishandling the bed level, I have a hard time feeling "resistance" when doing the printer paper level technique so my bed was much too low) but here's a quick description of the issue.

My test print is a big circle. Basically a 2 inch diameter, sliced it to print a 10mm brim (for this exact purpose), extruding at 180C +/- 3C, bed heated to 60C +/- 1C. The first few laps around on the skirt are beautiful, smooth, all kinds of good, but very quickly, I get rings overlapping as the outer edges start curling up. I expect some minor edge lift due to contraction from cooling, but this recent print? I'm looking at it and the brim is making the whole print look like an upside down umbrella top with how much it curled up from the bed. I am not currently using any tape or glue to increase adhesion, and I'm trying to help minimize quick cooling by using a space heater to keep the area quite warm. I am in a drafty old house that has trouble keeping warm, but the room I'm set up in for printing does not get too cold.

Does this sound like just an adhesion issue, or could it be bed level, rapid cooling, or are there any other ideas?

For reference, most of my prints have some minor curling on the brim, but most of my prints are less than 1inch wide (DND minis FTW), with a 5mm brim around them, so the smaller area (if cooling issue) could help minimize it by being closer to the center of heat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by keudo; 02-06-2018 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added images