Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Still no detailed print

"Our goal is to post an update of a more detailed print before the end of the campaign"

Still nothing. They made improvements, they showed theses improvements, why not taking a time to make new prints ? Or telling us more about how near or far they are?

It was a goal. Maybe they didnt reach it caused by a bug in the software.

It's not like they are improving something someone have already done. They are creating something from scratch. Kinda hard to know what you'll face.

I'm sure we will see another update next week.

Engineer-in-Training
    They are also dealing with manufacturing, hiring, managing the kickstarter funds, managing backers, and getting ready to ship beta kits in a month or two. That is a lot to get done in 8 weeks, not to mention inventing systems to make the peachy work properly all at the same time.

I will admit, I am hungry for an update too. I find myself compulsively refreshing all the relevant peachy pages looking for more data. They need time to get things moving, but I am sure we will have an update in good time.

I am sure they have excuses but after many years of working in industry and a backer I find this to be not acceptable that we do not hear it from them proactively. I myself reminded them about the MIA hardware video promised in update 8. To be honest I think overall poor communication has plagued Rinnovated/peachy (James being an exception during the last days of the KS campaign). I sincerely hope it is not something that will continue in the future. I believe it has already cost them enough in terms of distrust and lost backers not allowing them to reach their full potential during the campaigns and I believe if it continues it may result in loss of trust and support from their backers and ultimately their failure to meet their potential.

I know that one can't deliver everything on time but one can always deliver communication. One can always manage expectations; particularly the ones you create yourself. The way forward is simple, I for one would appreciate if Rinnovated could be more proactive on communication and thereby be more respectful of their backers.

In terms of communication, the contrast is massive with e.g. Technical Illusions CastAR kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-and-vr-system), they're currently 48h live-streaming with Q&A sessions & demos!

Technologist
    I'm more than happy with the current level of communication. If we end up going a month without any word then I'll be a little bit concerned, but we're nowhere near that stage yet. In the mean time, better to let them get on with building the printer than continually ask for more updates. Updates certainly aren't going to make it progress any faster...

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by woale View Post
    In terms of communication, the contrast is massive with e.g. Technical Illusions CastAR kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-and-vr-system), they're currently 48h live-streaming with Q&A sessions & demos!
    The Peachy has had twice as many updates as those AR glasses, and the glasses are further along in development.

Peachy Printer Software Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by woale View Post
    While I'm glad that the CastAR people are able to do live streaming QA sessions, we don't have the resources for that. We are currently a small group of people working part time to bring this about. As others have mentioned, we're now trying to take what we've collected from the Kickstarter campaign and organize a team, but that takes time. With what time we do have available, we are trying to find a balance between keeping in contact and actually working on the printer. I apologize if we are unable to provide you with enough updates, but we are trying.

Peachy Printer Software Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoH View Post
    "Our goal is to post an update of a more detailed print before the end of the campaign"

Still nothing. They made improvements, they showed theses improvements, why not taking a time to make new prints ? Or telling us more about how near or far they are?
    You know, it's funny how fast time flies. 12 days ago we released the update about the software and 10 days ago came the update of the hardware. Since then, I've spent about 20 hours on hardware and software trying to get things ready for a better print. I wrote a program to listen to the drips and play each layer at the right time. I did extensive testing of the performance of the new hardware prototype. I fought endlessly to get calibration to work well (sometimes you have to fail 10 times to find the right answer). I'm now fighting with segfaults in Python when I use PyAudio and PySide/Qt at the same time. During this time, Rylan has been back home in Yorkton with his family, talking to manufacturers and learning about regulatory issues with the laser. Aside from working my full-time day job and working on the printer, I helped my sister move to a new house, helped a friend install a kitchen, and spent a lovely night with my wife (whom I've seen little of since this campaign started) for our first wedding anniversary. Life moves fast, but it's hard to see that through the keyhole of a forum or a website.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but I am trying to help you and others understand that development takes time. Project schedules work on weeks and months, not days. Yes, we are making progress. Yes, there have been delays. No, we don't have prints to show you yet. It's not because we aren't "taking time to make new prints", but rather because there is a lot of work to be done before we can make new prints. But that's exactly what we are trying to do. Nathan is on standby with his camera for when the first prints are available. I'm madly trying to get the new hardware and software working well enough to make prints. Rylan is coming back to town tomorrow for another intense week of development. We're working on it.

Our goal was to post more detailed prints before the end of the campaign. We didn't make it, but we fixed a lot and learned a lot along the way. Our immediate goal is still to get more detailed prints and we're actively working on it. As soon as we have prints, we will post them. Until then, we will try to keep you informed of our progress.

Engineer-in-Training
    James, thanks for the word from behind the scenes. It's great getting more details. I hope your post answers questions about delays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast