Close

Afro-Brazilian Sound Rings

I saw this on Vimeo, and thought they were really cool. I then saw that they were 3D printed, so I had to share. I've been a lurker here for a while.

These rings are entirely 3D printed with the sound beads printed inside of them. Pretty amazing!

How can the beads be printed inside without sticking?

Quote Originally Posted by trimmedup View Post

How can the beads be printed inside without sticking?
    I'm sure they are stuck to each other. My guess is they are designed to break free easily. Check out the warble ball in this whistle. It is printed in place but snaps free at the end:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Took a look at the hi-res picture here and these are very high quality. I bet those balls are printed in place with no connection to the outside of the ring. Perhaps some powder or soluble support just needed to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by innovestment View Post
    Took a look at the hi-res picture here and these are very high quality. I bet those balls are printed in place with no connection to the outside of the ring. Perhaps some powder or soluble support just needed to be removed.
    This would be a perfect place to have dual extruders and use dissolving filament for support!

Very cool design idea. That would be interesting to design the interior balls in a way that they certainly break apart from each other.