So I'm working on a project which involves gears, and I've got the option of two types of chamfers I can put on. They both serve the purpose I'm intending, but aesthetically they look quite different. Usually I don't fuss about aesthetics but since these are functionally (as far as I'm concerned) identical, I figured it might as well be pretty too.

One option ("Straight cut chamfer") cuts a uniform chamfer along the gear, I find myself partial to this one due to how simple it looks, but it requires a larger chamfer to cover the whole gear tooth, which cuts into the teeth quite a bit and you effectively end up with a narrower gear.

Then I can also cut a chamfer which works more by following the tooth profile ("Profile following chamfer"). This lets me use a smaller chamfer but still get the entire gear tooth, effectively giving me a wider gear. I can do this in two ways, "vertical" or "slanted" where the chamfered part of the gear goes straight vertically, or where the chamfer is slanted along with the helix of the gear.

My question to you guys, is which one looks best? Again, they all fulfill the same function so that isn't a concern. I think I like the straight cut chamfer best, but it eats up a lot of the width of the gear. I just think putting a "proper" profile following chamfer on something that's slanted looks kinda weird.

Ignore the large number of facets, needed a quick openSCAD render to illustrate the different types. I can set the resolution much higher I just didn't want to wait forever.

Check out the files on thingiverse (couldn't upload stls on here for some reason), and ignore the part where the gear teeth stop, that will be cleaned up on both of them later.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2549482