Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Built Printers

Fair enough. My fault for watching the first unbox videos then.

I am having trouble determining where to get film and glasses that will provide appropriate UV laser protection (without spending $200+ on glasses or $100 + per square foot of film.) My searching only came up with these pricey options. Does anyone have any advice?

Staff Engineer
    In one of the other threads here, Rylan went over what film he had packaged with the first betas... Basically a color tinting film that isn't advertized for UV blocking, but that blocks the UV very well...

EDIT: Found the thread, here you go: Link
    Last edited by Feign; 05-07-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Found the link

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    How well is well enough?

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chayat View Post
    How well is well enough?
    Well, it's a 50 milliwat laser, so there is very little power going through it. Also, it's in the same spectrum of UV as a blacklight, meaning even with long exposure, it won't burn your skin.

The shielding on most SLA printers is more for keeping ambient UV light out of the resin tank than keeping the laser light in.

Technician
    There's dragonlaser and wickedlasers that both have $20ish pairs of glasses.....not sure how good they are though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztecphoenix View Post
    I saw the webcam in your first post (Logitech C920) they don't do so well in low light situations, how do you plan to compensate?
    That's a very good point for any webcam/peachy setup, I'm sure any webcam would make use of a bunch of light, and it is a good idea to keep any near-uv light out (its hard to be sure which wavelengths will cause unwanted curing).
    But even if there is no light in there you should still be able to see where the laser is drawing.
    If you do want some light in there, the filters that rylan mentioned in the other thread can surround a light bulb/led (or block openings to sun/room light) and protect the resin while still getting a huge amount of visible light.
    I tested some resin in an open container surrounded by the orange stuff rylan mentioned, in (indirect) sunlight for a few days and it didn't cure at all. If you want to test other materials, I'd suggest trying that, as well as shining a 405nm laser through it.

if there are any photographers out there, maybe they could try different lens filters to see if any allow large quantities of visible light without resin curing.

Engineer-in-Training
    Colehard, dug this up, but there are lots more on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE%C2%AE-Lase...=laser+glasses

I have this set, and I like it, but it is VERY hard to see the laser through them. I like the laser blocking material, it is the cheapest I have been able to find personally, but the resin will melt off the UV protective coating. Be careful about splashes, or get a surplus!

Thanks - I found these but the specs were not very detailed so I was concerned. But after reading more, I ordered some of these and got to building.

Build in a plastic tub

OK, took me about 6 hours today to build the Peachy. Instructions are good, only accidentally skipped one step (gluing in the coils), but was able to go back at the end and take care of that.

It is not pretty, I will make a better housing at some point.

2014-05-11 01.40.59.jpg2014-05-11 01.40.50.jpg

Just need to properly calibrate and calibrate the drip. The laser draws out a pretty decent square on the calibration paper.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast