Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Built Printers

Technician

Built Printers

I thought that there's at least be a few people that would want to see some more printers being built...so here's what I've done today....

I'll do the drip system tomorrow and then hopefully calibration and some prints soon
    Last edited by Pete; 05-04-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Man that setup looks nice, Pete. Look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Technician
    Thanks Feign, I hope it turns out that way. It's actually a kitchen cupboard and for the moment while I need access it's got that untidy skeleton hangar which I can move up and down on the shelving pegs, eventually I'll replace that with a complete shelf and it will look much neater. It's a pretty big enclosure compared to the other peachy stuff so I'm hoping to do some much larger prints eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks Feign, I hope it turns out that way. It's actually a kitchen cupboard and for the moment while I need access it's got that untidy skeleton hangar which I can move up and down on the shelving pegs, eventually I'll replace that with a complete shelf and it will look much neater. It's a pretty big enclosure compared to the other peachy stuff so I'm hoping to do some much larger prints eventually.
    Nice setup! I want to do one too! do you know how tall that cabinet is? I may get one like that!

Technician
    it's 60*40 and 37 deep (cm) http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...528/#/10205534 I think. Although looking online there's an identical one 20cm taller which I wish I'd found.
    Last edited by Pete; 05-05-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Student
    Looks Awesome, keep us posted,

Rob

What are you building? Is this a Peachy or a homemade version?

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingoddball View Post
    What are you building? Is this a Peachy or a homemade version?
    The plastic parts shown are all from the Peachy kit, It's just mounted in an Ikea cabinet rather than the acrylic box that comes with it.

What acrylic box it comes with?

The V29 kit I got does not include the enclosure NOR any of the UV filter sheets - we are supposed to make a cardboard stand using the template on a link that does not work. The UV safety glasses are now just a cutout from a sheet. I was planning to build this with my son but the fact that there is one pair of "glasses" and no filter material has put me off starting this.

Also, no resin that was promised for Beta backers.

The first beta kits unboxed online looked alot more substantial than what I received in this second tier.

My son and I were excited to receive this and get started but I am not sure what to do at this point and how much to worry about the filter around the printer (which in earlier versions of the design included a defeat switch that turned of the laser when the filter was removed.)

Anyone else disappointed with the PP29 beta kits?

Engineer-in-Training
    Colehard, in fairness, the Peachy printer was never intended to have an acrylic box. If you go look at the Kickstarter, you will see that laser shielding and an enclosure are things the user provides, if desired. The glasses leave plenty to be desired, I will grant you. The laser safety switch is a piece of wire, some tin foil, a chunk of card stock or plastic, and a metal ball. You can still add this to your Peachy, all of the circuitry is there, but know that I nixed mine before I even used it. Also, the enclosure that was provided with PP28 was small, restrictive, and fell apart constantly. Whatever you can cook up at home will be much sturdier, and all part of the fun. Honestly, I think one of the best parts about the Peachy printer is that you are not restricted to the provided parts. I am ditching the enclosure I got with PP28 tonight, and I would be happy to mail it to you if you think it will be better than what you have at home.

The glasses are not a necessity. Be as cautious as you would be with a child and a laser pointer and you and your son will have a blast. That said, this project is not for a kid, so I hope your son is at least 13ish. The parts are small, and require a certain degree of precision. If your son can handle it, then sally forth, and build! The Peachy store will be open soon where you can spend your beta credit, and even if it's not, post on the Peachy board that you need resin, and it will be shipped to you. It is likely that shipping of the resin is already in the works, but since it comes from a 3rd party, it takes time to get that all worked out. Same with PP28.

I was thinking about this more, and I can see why you feel the way you do, but the tightness of the build of PP29 is desirable, and improved from PP28. The enclosure, glasses, and shielding are just details. You have all the parts for a 3d printer in your hands! Why aren't you building it and printing amazing things yet?
    Last edited by Anuvin; 05-05-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast