Close

David Structured Light Scanner SLS-2?

Has anyone heard any feedback or actually used the David Structured Light scanner SLS2? I'd like to know how it compares with the Sense scanner. It's priced at quite a bit more (2320,50 EUR), but the specs seem pretty good. I don't know how the specs compare with the Sense, but I imagine they are better.

• Scan size: 60-500 mm
    • Resolution/Precision: Up to 0.1% of scan size (down to 0.06 mm)
    • Scanning time: 2-4 seconds per scan
    • Mesh density: Up to 1,200,000 vertices per scan
    • Export formats: OBJ, STL, PLY
    • Shipment dimensional weight: 10 kg

I'm very tempted to just buy it, but want to know if anyone has seen or used one yet.

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    They have an active forum, which is probably the best place to look for feedback: http://forum.david-3d.com/

It's developed for a different market (what are you looking to do with it?) but it will certainly be a huge amount more accurate than the sense scanner (though it will take a lot longer to scan with.) Whether it is accurate down to the 60 microns it says however, I don't know.

I've been tempted to pick one up for the price, but will probably wait till the next show and see one in person first.

I was talking to someone the other week about David Scanners and he says they are very good, but where people struggle is the software. Without additional proper alignment and meshing software, it's very difficult to merge the scans and get accurate data. Professional software starts around $10k...
    Last edited by JSenior; 05-04-2014 at 03:39 AM.